• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unpaid Medical Bills, 3 years later

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

weetam

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

3 years ago I went to a local Medical Center for a medical problem. When I got there they informed me that they did not accept my medical insurance but that they would submit the claim for me to obtain a 60% coverage for non-approved doctors( doctors not on the list). The doctor saw me and treated me. I left the office with no bill in hand or any breakdown of the services rendered. Time passes and I hear nothing ( one year) so, I just assumed it was taken care of. To this day I have never seen a bill or breakdown of services rendered. Yesterday ( 3 years later) I get a letter from a collection agaency informing me that they are collecting on this medical debt ($265.00). This is the first time I've heard from anyone concerning this debt. Now it is too late to submit the claim to my insurance company, so I have to pay the entire bill. So, by their total disregard concerning this I am out some money. But, still I have never seen the bill. Do I have to pay the entire amount? I do not mind paying something, after all, it is the right thing to do. But, should I be responsible for the entire amount? After all, if I was contacted earlier my insurance company would have paid some of this bill. Do I have a right to see the original bill? Thank yoo.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">