• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unsolicited check from car dealer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rickashay

I recently bought a new car from my local Honda dealer Here in Colorado. About two weeks after I took possession of the car, I received a check from the dealer for $1249.00.

The check stub stated "MONEY BACK TO CUSTOMER RICK A SHAY,"
and further, in the check description area, it said "WE OWE CUSTOMER SHAY."

I took the check, and applied it to the principle of another car loan, and thought nothing about it, except that it must be a refund for an overcharge during the purchase process.

Yesterday, the dealer called me, and said that the check was a mistake and would I please return the money.

What are my options? Am I required to pay the money back?

I am NOT a happy camper with this dealer at this point anyway, and would just as soon keep the money (the amount is about half of the difference between the value of my trade in as originally agreed to, and what the dealer dropped down to two days later, claiming that the dealer who was to buy my trade in had backed out.)

Please help. My real question here is what are my legal options regarding this unsolicited check. Do I have to return the money?

Thanks very much for any assistance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">