• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unsolicited check, deposited and dishonored

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

reskrid

unsolicited check deposited and dishonored

A former employee sends a check to my current address in Virginia. As the check has no description on it of what the funds are I assume they have cashed out my 401k or some such thing and deposit it. A couple days later its dishonored costing me bounced check fees from the bank and one vendor.

Within 2 weeks I receive a 2nd check from the same company for 1cent different face value. I again deposit it assuming, unhappily thanks to the bounced check fees, that they cut this one after placing the wrong value on the first check.

At the bank I queury a teller for how long I should wait before spending the money, describing to her the dishonored check and its costs. I am told 5 business days. Over Ten days later I send out payments to various places including my child support and whammo it gets dishonored a day or two later!

This is a $2000 dollar check, Twice! Am I supposed to absorb these returned check fees? What about my credit, and even more what about the child support check I sent to my state!

[Edited by reskrid on 03-22-2001 at 11:19 AM]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">