• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unwanted books

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

violas

What is the name of your state?Washington

I got a package in the mail that said free gift all over the outside. I opened the box and there were books inside. I never ordered any books and then 2 weeks later they sent me a bill demanding $14 for these books I never ordered? Now they keep sending me bill demanding I pay $14 !!! I didn't pay to send the books back because I never ordered the books in the first place!!! What should I do? Thanks :mad:

djohnson

That maybe the right thing to do, but I don't think you should be out the expense to send them back. This actually happened to me after I had my first child. Apparently companies get names of new parents or something. They sent this cheap little plasic 'bookholder' that was the free gift with the books. Not knowing what it was and we get packages a lot, I opened so couldn't return to sender. I did however use the envelope enclosed to send them a letter explaining I didn't want them and didn't order them and wasn't paying for them and they could send me a call ticket if prepaid if they wanted them back. I never heard from them again. It may not have been right, but I don't think a person should be caught up in these people's scams either.

You Are Guilty

jpritchett81 said:
Send them back or pay $14. That was easy. :rolleyes:
Washington (like most states') law disagrees with you:
RCW 19.56.020
Unsolicited goods or services as gifts.

If unsolicited goods or services are provided to a person, the person has a right to accept the goods or services as a gift only, and is not bound to return the goods or services. Goods or services are not considered to have been solicited unless the recipient specifically requested, in an affirmative manner, the receipt of the goods or services according to the terms under which they are being offered. Goods or services are not considered to have been requested if a person fails to respond to an invitation to purchase the goods or services and the goods or services are provided notwithstanding. If the unsolicited goods or services are either addressed to or intended for the recipient, the recipient may use them or dispose of them in any manner without any obligation to the provider, and in any action for goods or services sold and delivered, or in any action for the return of the goods, it is a complete defense that the goods or services were provided voluntarily and that the defendant did not affirmatively order or request the goods or services, either orally or in writing.

[1992 c 43 § 1; 1967 c 57 § 1.]
Cliff Notes version: Unsolicited goods are gifts for you to do with what you like, including keeping them, selling them, burning them or throwing them at your neighbors.

violas

You Are Guilty said:
Washington (like most states') law disagrees with you:

Cliff Notes version: Unsolicited goods are gifts for you to do with what you like, including keeping them, selling them, burning them or throwing them at your neighbors.
Thanks so much. :D I will let them know the law if they contact me again. If they keep hassling me anyway I think I will file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">