• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

UPS Freight charged me without agrrement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lehighluke

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

I bought dining room table on Amazon, and it was delivered via UPS freight. Shipping was paid with the purchase, $204.

The day before delivery, UPS freight called me and asked if I had a loading dock, and if a 18-wheeler could access the street. I said it was a residence, no loading dock, but a 18-wheeler can navigate the street no problem. They said they'll need to send a truck with a liftgate instead, i said "OK".

It was delivered on a palate, my fiancee signed for it. ! week later I get an invoice from UPS freight for $132 for use of a lift gate! They never told me I would be charged extra, I wouldn't have approved of it, and I never signed a PO for this service nor any other kind of agreement. They are going to call me about the dispute today, do I have the right to refuse this payment?

justalayman

without hearing the entire conversation, I would say; maybe.

If it were me, I would simply tell them I would unload the semi; bring it on. If you said something that lead them to believe you needed special arrangements to accept the table, they may have acted upon your statements.

Did you tell them you could not unload it from a semi-trailer?

It was delivered on a palate, my fiancee signed for it.
Is there anything on the receipt that implied or expressly stated there was such a charge?

Lehighluke

without hearing the entire conversation, I would say; maybe.

If it were me, I would simply tell them I would unload the semi; bring it on. If you said something that lead them to believe you needed special arrangements to accept the table, they may have acted upon your statements.

Did you tell them you could not unload it from a semi-trailer?

Is there anything on the receipt that implied or expressly stated there was such a charge?
I think I tossed the delivery slip once I inspected the package for damage...this was over a week ago.

If I had been told that a liftgate was >$100 charge, I would have come home from work only and unloaded it from the trailer myself, but they made no mention of being charged anything extra. But thats beside the point. The point is:
Can a company bill you for goods/services that you did not approve of via PO, or verbal contract stating the terms (ie the cost)? I had no knowledge of the cost. Common sense tells me they screwed up, and I am not responsible for this. Am I correct? I would like to be armed with some kind of consumer's right statute or other legal language that I can use when they call me.

slwx

they'll have a copy of your signed delivery receipt in their imaging system.

if you call their customer service number, they can probably fax you a copy or tell you how to look it up for yourself on their web-site.

justalayman

I think I tossed the delivery slip once I inspected the package for damage...this was over a week ago.

If I had been told that a liftgate was >$100 charge, I would have come home from work only and unloaded it from the trailer myself, but they made no mention of being charged anything extra. But thats beside the point. The point is:
Can a company bill you for goods/services that you did not approve of via PO, or verbal contract stating the terms (ie the cost)? I had no knowledge of the cost. Common sense tells me they screwed up, and I am not responsible for this. Am I correct? I would like to be armed with some kind of consumer's right statute or other legal language that I can use when they call me.
You really need a copy of the paper you tossed. If it included the fee, you have no argument to stand on.

If it did not include the fee, I would argue that you had not agreed to the charge and require them to show where you had.

slwx pointed you in a direction to get a copy of the paper.

but one last point; when you purchased the table, did you agree to pay shipping costs? Did you sign or acknowledge anything that gave you an actual cost or merely (+ shipping)?

CraigFL

It's pretty much standard that if you don't have a loading dock that they charge for a liftgate because they have to route it special so the truck has a liftgate. Usually this is checked by the freight company when they give you the pre-delivery phone call.

justalayman

It's pretty much standard that if you don't have a loading dock that they charge for a liftgate because they have to route it special so the truck has a liftgate..
that still does not allow them to charge for the liftgate as a seperate item unless agreed to at some time.

I have no problem unloading a semi by hand on just about anything under 150 pounds by myself. While I would like the use of a liftgate, I would not pay extra for it. If they unilaterally decided that a liftgate is required, that is on them and they can eat the cost.

Now, inversely, if I did direct them to not use a lift gate due to the costs and I could not unload the truck, I would expect to either pick up the package at the UPS hub or pay for a second delivery.

Lehighluke

You really need a copy of the paper you tossed. If it included the fee, you have no argument to stand on.

If it did not include the fee, I would argue that you had not agreed to the charge and require them to show where you had.

slwx pointed you in a direction to get a copy of the paper.

but one last point; when you purchased the table, did you agree to pay shipping costs? Did you sign or acknowledge anything that gave you an actual cost or merely (+ shipping)?
>Facepalm< about tossing the delivery slip...I'm sure they'll tell me.
As for the shipping, I agreed to it, but it was calculated at the time of purchase ($204)...thats the amount I agreed to. I didn't agree to $204 + $132...oh well...thanks for the input

slwx

>Facepalm< about tossing the delivery slip...I'm sure they'll tell me.
As for the shipping, I agreed to it, but it was calculated at the time of purchase ($204)...thats the amount I agreed to. I didn't agree to $204 + $132...oh well...thanks for the input
if you knew the pro number -- i could go to their website and find it.
i do business with them, they're too busy to work really hard to screw you over $132. it would cost them more than that to argue the point with you.

also -- if the seller agreed to pay the total part of the shipping charges, you might have an argument to get that charge reversed and charged back to them. they would have sent an invoice to the shipper as well for the freight charges.

justalayman

I sure hope it is a nice table. $336 is a lot for shipping and delivery.

and that is a good question as well. Was the $204 for shipping AND delivery or did it refer to shipping to the UPS depot. Sometimes freight is quoted as shipping to a depot only and delivery from that point would be added or you would pick up at the depot.

lots of questions which you will need to determine answers to to be able to argue the charge.

BL

Did you save the Ad and e-mails from Amazon ?

If so what exactly does the Ad and e-mails say about shipment ?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">