• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

US Citizen with Internation Problem

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sandradidi

What is the name of your state? TN

I know this isn't consumer rights, but it is the only title about contracts. I am an American citizen with a business in Peru. My business partner and I incurred debts with my brother and various credit card companies all in my name. We verbally agreed that we would split that debt 50-50. We did not put this in writing, however I have around 100 e-mails going back and forth between us which I believe establishes our 50-50 business relationship and he clearly admits to owing the money, as well as instant messages saved and sent to my email. He is Peruvian, now living in Holland and sometimes visits the US because he has family there. I am trying to find out what I could legally do in all three countries, the US, Netherlands and Peru. What kind of lawyer should I talk to about this - or will I need a lawyer in each country? And do you think the verbal agreement with e-mails to verify his knowledge of that agreement and even payment plans he sent to me via email is enough to have a lawsuit. I am just looking for what direction to go to now that the business is closed and he is no longer responding by email.

L

loku

DO YOU THINK THE VERBAL AGREEMENT WITH E-MAILS TO VERIFY HIS KNOWLEDGE OF THAT AGREEMENT AND EVEN PAYMENT PLANS HE SENT TO ME VIA EMAIL IS ENOUGH TO HAVE A LAWSUIT.
Yes, you can prove the contract with emails.

HE IS PERUVIAN, NOW LIVING IN HOLLAND AND SOMETIMES VISITS THE US BECAUSE HE HAS FAMILY THERE. I AM TRYING TO FIND OUT WHAT I COULD LEGALLY DO IN ALL THREE COUNTRIES, THE US, NETHERLANDS AND PERU
Probably the best place to sue would be Holland, where he lives and where he probably has property.

WHAT KIND OF LAWYER SHOULD I TALK TO ABOUT THIS
A lawyer with experience in contracts, probably in Holland.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">