• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Used car buyer wants money back

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

setchell

What is the name of your state? Florida

I sold a 1999 Chrysler 300M to a buyer in a different county in Florida on Saturday (4/16/05) for $7700. Today (4/27/05) he wants his money back or a partial refund of $2000 because he said I didn't tell him about additional cosmetic paintwork to the side of the car that I had done. I did tell him that I had the hood and bumper painted because of road chips and bug damage and really don't recall if I mentioned the side work. I had this done at the same time to cover some scratches on the lower door panel. He took it to a body shop and they told him it was only worth $4000 because of the painting. I never had any accidents. I am the 2nd owner. I also gave him a clean Carfax report. He said that he would sue for undisclosed damage/misrepresentation if I fail to comply. The bill of sale states “This is a final sale, as is, with no warranty implied”. I don’t plan to give him $2000 or take the car back. What can he really do? Supposedly his wife works in a legal office and that an attorney said he had a case.

divgradcurl

What can he really do?
Well, he can sue you, but he almost certainly won't win unless you fail to show up to defend yourself. Private party sales, unless a warranty is expressly given, are "caveat emptor" -- he should have had the car inspected BEFORE he plunked down the money. It's his car now.

setchell

Thanks re: Buyer wants money back

Just wanted to say thanks for your quick response. It's nice to know that there are people out there that will take the time to analyze the problem and furnish help. Great website!
Jerry

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">