• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Used car dealer problem

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Buffal0gal

I'm a Michigan resident, and we're trying to buy a car from a dealership in Wisconsin. The problems began when the sales rep insisted we take delivery of the car before the bank could issue a cashier's check. We scrambled, got payment worked out and the surly delivery guys took off--without leaving us a copy of the sales agreement OR temporary license plates. They've promised to "overnight" the documents twice, but we're still sitting here with an un-drivable car for 13 days.

We have physical possession of the car but no documentation whatsoever that it's ours. The cashier's check to the dealership cleared days ago. Have they stolen our money?

They have promised for a THIRD time to "overnight" the sales contract and temp plates. If it's not here tomorrow, what recourse do I have? Do I call the Michigan Attorney General? Wisconsin's AG? A lawyer here in Michigan? Hire an attorney in WI?

All this messing around has made me wonder if the dealer has actually paid the 6% sales tax to the MI Secretary of State and if they've submitted the title transfer. How do I go about checking that?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">