• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Used Car Disaster

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pammness

What is the name of your state?Virginia On the 21st of Feb.went to a dealer near us. We looked at a Mazda '01 626. The car was traded in the day before. During the test drive, my boyfriend pointed out a noise he was hearing in the rear of the car... Salesman stated it might just be a loose bolt and he would have service dept. check it. We were told that the vehicle would be gone over thourghly before it was delivered to us to ensure the vehicle was in excellent condition, and whatever needed to be done to the vehicle would take place while we had a loaner from them. We were charged the top market value price for the vehicle. According to the Kelly & NADA, the 7995. price tag was for a vehicle with little problems. The salesman told us it would only be for a few days. The loaner car was from the 21st to 26th of Feb. I called and spoke to the salesman every day.... he told us the car needed new tires and new brakes,& wiper blades. This is not a 5 day job,but we were they were waiting for a part from Cal. My bf and I both called the salesman and stated our uneasiness of the time it was taking &wanting to back out of the deal, as we still had not taken possession. But(salesman) said they were waiting for parts, the service dept. was checking car thourghly and this would only ensure our car was in top condition prior to us taken possession.BF told the salesman that he felt like they were covering up bigger issues the car may have. Said,this was not the case and they would never sell us vehicle that had major problems.We got car 10 days later.Picked up the car it interior was not cleaned well,told salesman,but we choose to leave it at that and clean it the rest of the way ourselves,tired of the delays. We took the car,(after 6p.m.).Sunday the 6thMar,check engine light came on (in less then 200 miles).Monday,to tell the dealer of the light,again stated we were not happy and wanted to back out of the deal. He told us the problem would be looked at & taken care of by them. They wanted us to be totally happy with our car purchase. Not to worry, we'll take care of it, was his statements. "Just bring it back in." We did so promptly,by the time we got there, the light went out.left it, they would try to get the light back on, if it wasn't on they couldn't diagnois the problem, but the light did not come on. We asked to pick the car up and call when the light came on again.We were told they didn't even service Mazdas (Chev.dealer).We needed to take it to Mazda dealer, asked about the expenses, told us again not to worry and they'd take care of it. I called them to make appoint.,but by then light was out,was told to call back next time it came on, did&set an appoint. ,Next day drove there, light went off. They took it in,hoping they could get it to come on.2 days,would not come on.Picked car up and the next time it came on, just bring it right in,did so,this time found Transmission was bad,O2 Sensor bad, Caliditic Convertor may also be bad.Called the salesman to tell him of the findings. Then they started sidestepping there verbal promises. I was past to Used car manager,stated that it was past thirty days of us receiving the vehicle. I went through all the above with him&he told me to see what the extended warranty covered,I did .It only covered the trans. That alone was 3200. ( just found out that dealership was in fact responsible for 50% under there limited warranty. The O2 Sensor not covered (100.)Cadiltic Convertor (1500.) + labor. Then the manager of the dealership where we bought the car said to have them do the transmission under the warranty, and we'd be reimbursed the 125.we'd have to pay. Once the work was done bring it back to a shop they dealt with for the rest of the work to be verified and done by that shop. It was a week at the shop waiting for the ins. adjuster and parts to come in. Picked the car up, drove it right over. They arranged a loaner and called the shop. We took our car there. Once the O2 sensor was replaced, once we got there, found the cadilitic convertor had not been checked nor replaced. Called the manager said he never agreed to anything more then the O2 sensor and would not replace the cadiliitic convertor,could just be the O2 sensor sending a bad reading. We agreed to taking the car and he told us to call back if there was anything more. 2 days later the engine light was back on. We called the manager, he told us to take it back to the shop across the street. We did so, 2 days later, they called to say car was ready to pick up. When we got there, asked what was wrong was told the O2 sensor was bad and was replaced, confused now, we pointed out it had already been done. Was told there was 2/O2 sensors, asked why they did not check both to see what was wrong, we were told that T.J. authorized the first one and was specific to which one he wanted replaced. They told us the amount (now we knew why, the first was 90.00 cheaper). When we called the manager a few minutes later, he refused to pay for the second O2 sensor. Said he did not have to do anything further for us not to call them again concerning this car. We were floored, but had no choice, but to pay for the repair, not wanting possible storage fees to be thrown at us while we tried to work this out. We paid the 190.00 bill and drove the car home. I took the car in for a oil change just a few days after receiving it from the other shop.... I took it to someone not attached to the dealer. No problem... took car home, the next day... you got it, the check engine light came on!! I called the dealer who refused to pick up the call. I took it back to where I had the oil changed... The spark plug wires were aftermarket and had burnt marks, the inside pieces fell out of wires (not suppose to happen under normal wear and tear and plugs were horrible, clearly something that should have been checked long ago, but appears last owner did not, dealer where we bought it did not, Mazda dealer did not, nor did the shop the dealer sent us to. Either time. I spoke in depth to the mechanic about the issues. Oh yea, remember the rattle noise we told salesman about on initial test drive, turns out it was not checked, and it is the struts and strut mounts gone bad... another bill will be had in future for 500.00. Was clearly a problem he thought any and all of the above should have caught, he also pointed out that the engine light could have very well been from the start, this issue along with the transmission. That in fact the O2 sensors may not have been bad after all. I went immediately back to the shop the dealer sent me to get the papers showing how they determined it was the O2 sensor. The second thing on the list was to check for misfire from plugs and wires, when asked, they mechanic there did not know if that had been done.... Noone there who could/would answer this. I took the papers, bills and my bad plugs and wires (Oh yea, that job was 164.00). I first went to the salesman, he then went to manager, who at first refused to speak with me, then did so, but refused to do anything stating it had been 5months since we purchased car, point out it was only 9 weeks and the car had been in the shop since day one of contract and had been in and out 7 more times in nine weeks. He still refused to do any more. I thanked him for his time and told him he was not through hearing from me. I went back to my car, but then decided to speak with the General manager of the dealership. I got pretty much same answers. He did however pay me for the deductible that was refused after it had been agreed to and for the second O2 sensor. I pointed out to him as well as I did to the salesman and the used car manager that the price we paid for the car was for a car in good order with no major problems and that my search concluded they charged us for a good car and we actually received a poor car.
All of that to ask... If they have agreed verbally and broken those agreements, is this against any law? If they have in fact paid for partial repairs, for a certain problem, and it did not resolve, are they not liable for repairs until problem is resolved? Should they not have to pay the 1600.00 portion on the transmission being that was in the warranty? What about the other issues? If they sell me a car worth a price tag to reflect a good running car, then should they not have to either pay for it to meet standards or adjust the price accordingly? If the price tag reflects a car in good condition and the car actually is not, would this not fall under the guidelines of Misrepresenting that goods or services are of a particular standard, quality, grade, style, or model; Under the Virginia law; Virginia Consumer Protection Act of 1977 ???
Do we have any case against any one we have dealt with on this car, including the service department and shops that clearly did not check the wires and plugs, which could have possibly stopped the cost and replacement of the O2 sensors. I finally got the records from the car dealership from the first time in there shop, nothing shows checking out the rattle noise we spoke of and only part of what we were told was done to car, was actually done, not all brakes and tires were replaced, only back. We were told all were done. I also asked about their used car inspection... I was told they do a 98 point check on vehicle, but he could not tell me exactly what they all were, and had no list I could see. I had pulled it up on the internet, and pointed some out to him, he affirmed they do those things, the ones I pointed out, I explained to him, were not done to the car, I know by the amount of problems I am having. On the lighter side, I told my boyfriend I think they just stood back and pointed at the car 98 times. lol Please help, there's got to be something done about dealers getting by with breaking verbal agreements without everyone having to be a lawyer or have one when you buy a used car.
:eek: :( :mad:

pammness

Fyi

I decided I was not happy with the answer of TO BAD. So I choose to make a small phone call to the BBB (better business bureau) in my area to find out how they rated the dealership. It all checked out, But I also found out I could request a dispute mediation with them but I had to follow a few things before I could do so. I first had to contact the pesron the BBB had on file as the contact person for the dealership. I also had to let this person know even if leaving a message that I had spoke to the BBB and as of the date of this call to his office he had 5 business days to reply to me or I would be conatacting the BBB and requesting a dispute mediation. Once I stated this to him, he was more then happy to hear about all of the troubles and check there records and get back to me concerning this issue. He also apologized that no one from the company had suggested I speak with him first and he was also going to look into that as well...... WELL, Low and behold He called me the very next morning (as it was late in the day when I spoke with him) and apologized again. He was going to put me through to his Service Department Manager and have the issues repaired on my car at NO COST to me and would be more then happy to give me a loaner vehicle while this is being done (as they also informed me they would no longer due so as it is not policy and is posted).
I am not saying this will work with all dealerships.... But I know it did with mine.
I think my plus was that the contract HAD been signed prior to the service department checking the car out, but it goes to show that as is sales does not always apply. You'd be surprised at the businesses they don't want the BBB brought in, even if there chances are that they will prevail in the end.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">