• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Used car lot did not supply buyer's guide

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sqeakers26

Florida
Car purchase on 9/19/09

I bought a used 2008 Hyundai Elantra, was told it was in perfect condition with no accidents or repairs. The carfax given to me was clean, no reported damage. The car was sold to me as certified pre-owned so I paid more for it thinking I was getting a better car. The engine light was on which they explained as a sensor that needed replacing, maybe tire pressure? They finally gave me the car on 9/23/09 after completing repair. They didn't give me a repair report so I still don't know what was repaired.

I have photos of the car from 9/19/09. I sent them via text message to my husband before purchasing the car, before signing anything. No buyer's guide was displayed or even in the car at all. Also, looking through my paperwork, I do not have a copy of the Buyers Guide. One was never provided. The paperwork I signed did say "as is" which they explained to me as no warranty from the dealer, only covered by warranty from Hyundai. This made sense to me. None of the places I contacted in my car search offered dealer warranty on used vehicles.

On 1/16/10, I had my car serviced at another Hyundai dealer. They tech who serviced the car explained the car had been wrecked, specifically the front end. The hood has been replaced. The frame has been shifted. The battery isn't properly secured in a battery box. There has been some paint replaced. A car that was sold to me as perfect and worth what I thought was $14K now turns out to be valued at no more than $7K according the 2nd dealer.

I was told to seek legal advice by the 2nd dealer to see if Florida law protects me in any way since there was no Buyer's Guide which they mentioned was supposed to be displayed and given to me. I need help. I don't have a lot of money. I can't afford losing $7000 on my car. I am speechless, upset, and hurt to be taken advantage of by anyone carrying the Hyundai name. I have bought from, been serviced at, and trusted many Hyundai dealers and the brand for the past 6 years.

What can I do? The only place I saw reference made to the Buyer's Guide was on the Attn Gen website here: Florida Attorney General - How to Protect Yourself: Buying a Used Car

Please assist.

swalsh411

I'm sorry to hear you are having problems with your car but why do you think having received a buyers guide would have prevented this problem? The buyers guide (aka window sticker) would not have said whether or not the vehicle had been in an accident.

You could contact the Florida Attorney General's office and also if this was a Hyundai dealer I would contact Hyundai directly and they may be able to pressure the dealer to make this right.

Carfax is not 100% guaranteed and there is no way to be absolutely certain the vehicle was not in a major accident without having a trusted mechanic perform an inspection. In your case, they would have found the items that the technician at the other Hyundai dealer told you about.

sqeakers26

100% understand that Carfax is not a fail safe.

Buyer's Guide is just my way to refer to an actual Florida law as a loop hole to have a way to take action in some way against the dealer.

Thanks for a quick response. I did contact Florida Attn Gen and make a formal complaint. Just wanting to know if there's a case based on the loop hole.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">