• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Used car purchase

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

btuttlelup

My 17 year old son recently purchased a 1983 Buick Regal for $1050. He paid a $50 deposit and the rest in a cashier's check.

The car is only supposed to have 61,000 miles on it. I went with him to look at it, but it was his money and his decision. He drove the car and we asked about any problems. The people were rather vague, but lead us to believe that the car was in pretty good condition. He has had the car three weeks and we found out that the brakes are very, very bad. The estimate to repair them is $692. The mechanic advised us to return the car to the previous owner.

The car and title are in my son's name, but the man he bought it from lost the cashier's check. With a 60 day wait, it will be early August before a new check can be issued. Do we have any legal recourse here as far as withholding some of this money to help cover the cost of the repairs, or just refusing to pay and returning the car?

I would appreciate any help. Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">