• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Used car purchase please help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MNowak

I purchased a USED car yesterday evening. I found out that they mis-represented the value of the car and now I want to cancel the contract. I put $100 down and took the car home last night with the intention of bringing the remaining money in today. I thought that I had 72 hours to cancel the contract but they say this is not true. Is this right?

Thank you in advance for any help you can be with this.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Assuming you're an adult (18 or older) and not a minor (18 or younger), then they are correct - - there is no 72 hours' right of return in private or even commercial purchases, e.g. retail sales.

You're thinking of "Home Solicitation" contracts; e.g., the encyclopedia salesman comes to your home and sells you all 85 books. In that instance, you'd have 72 hours to cancel that type of contract.

You should have done your homework concerning the car *before* you paid the money. Now, you're stuck.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">