• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Used Car Warranty

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

blondie729

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Hi & hope someone here can help me. I bought a used car (2006 Taurus) & paid cash for it from a local dealer--small dealer, not a big car lot. Paid $350 extra for a 90 day warranty that is supposed to cover everything. In addition, the hood has a couple of little dings & the dealer said he would fix it. This was also included in the contract, along with the 90 day warranty. He has not fixed the hood.

A couple of weeks after I got the car, I thought it felt sort of funny shifting, but wasn't sure. Anyhow finally it was definitely hinky & I suspected it might be the transmission so I contacted the dealer to tell him. That was a month ago. A few days after I told him about it, at my insistence, he took it to Aamco & had it checked. I called to see about the car & the guy at Aamco told me that the dealer told him it was his personal vehicle. I replied that the title & registration were in the glove box with my name as owner, so the Aamco guy checked & then told me that yes, the transmission was bad.

It has been one month & three days since I told the dealer about the transmission & almost a month since Aamco told him it was bad. He has stalled & put me off with one excuse after another, saying he didn't have the money etc.

I called him last Monday again & he promised to pick the car up & take it to his mechanic & get a used transmission put in it today or tomorrow. I have a doctor's appt tomorrow morning & will be in town & told him I'd just meet him at the mechanic's & save him a trip out here to my house.

The long & short of it is that he will not agree to meet me there at the repair shop & refuses to even tell me where it is the car will be taken to be fixed, who the mechanic is or how I could contact him. Am I wrong in thinking I have a right to know this? If something happened to the car dealer, I would have no way of even finding my own car.

Sorry for this being so long. Tried to be as clear as possible. I'm thinking maybe Small Claims Court. Any advice or info deeply appreciated. I'm a senior lady with high blood pressure & this situation isn't helping any.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You don't have the right to the information you are seeking. Let the dealer fix it. Oh, also, what state are you in?

blondie729

Are you saying that I have no right to know where my own car is being taken & where it will be? That makes no sense whatsoever. What if something happened to the dealer? I wouldn't have any idea how on earth to find my own car. Crazy.

I don't believe that at all but will call an attorney in the am & find out.

jiggy78

Your best best is a demand in writing to return the car. Then you can sue him for the price of the warranty he didn't honor and get it fixed elsewhere.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">