• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Used car will not pass colorado emmission test

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

peconi

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado
We purchased a used car from a dealership in Colorado. The car will not pass emissions due to "illegal wiring" What are our options and what is the best way to handle this problem? Anyone have experience with this? Our preference is to return the car and get our money back.

xylene

First things. Some key facts:

The car:

What kind of car, what model year and what mileage?
Is this car customized / performance modded?
When / where did the emissions fail occur?
Is this immediately after purchase?

AND

The dealer:

What did the did the dealer say when you brought this to their attention?
Did you inform the dealer of your preferred resolution?

JETX

The car will not pass emissions due to "illegal wiring" What are our options and what is the best way to handle this problem? Anyone have experience with this? Our preference is to return the car and get our money back.
In Colorado, if your 'new' vehicle has failed the emission test, you have only 3 business days beginning the day after you took possession of the vehicle to bring the vehicle back to the dealer for repairs/repurchase. Business days are defined as Monday through Saturday, with the exception of state holidays.

URGENT!!!!
Read the information at:
Air Care Colorado

peconi

To be more spacific, The car was purchased by my nephew and his wife (age 19) for around $3,500.00. They got a loan that was co-signed by her parents to purchase the car. I'm not sure what the dealer said other than the kids were more impressed with the looks. It is a Mazda Protege #5 2002 purchased Oct 14th, my sister took the car in on Nov 17th and the car did not pass the Colorado emissions test do to "oxygen sensor" was illegal. We have not contacted the dealer. We wanted to do some research first.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
To be more spacific, The car was purchased by my nephew and his wife (age 19) for around $3,500.00. They got a loan that was co-signed by her parents to purchase the car. I'm not sure what the dealer said other than the kids were more impressed with the looks. It is a Mazda Protege #5 2002 purchased Oct 14th, my sister took the car in on Nov 17th and the car did not pass the Colorado emissions test do to "oxygen sensor" was illegal. We have not contacted the dealer. We wanted to do some research first.
Well, tell the kiddos that their reward for waiting over a month is that they get to pay for the repairs on their car.

JETX

purchased Oct 14th, my sister took the car in on Nov 17th and the car did not pass the Colorado emissions test do to "oxygen sensor" was illegal. We have not contacted the dealer. We wanted to do some research first.
Then you/they have NO case as allowed under the 'emission testing' statute.

From the previously provided website:
"If you do not return the failed vehicle within the initial 3-day time period the dealer will be relieved of any further responsibility to repair or repurchase the vehicle for compliance with the emissions program."

Last edited:

xylene

Then you/they have NO case.

From the previously provided website:
"If you do not return the failed vehicle within the initial 3-day time period the dealer will be relieved of any further responsibility to repair or repurchase the vehicle for compliance with the emissions program."
They have timed out their recourse under that statute.

If the dealer altered it in violation of emission laws - for example to bypass an obvious check engine light fault... they may have options.

They may also have contractual rights as well - and of course we have not read them.

Also, of course none of these are as simple as an readily enforceable demand to take the car back or repair it.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">