• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Used Vehicle Fees-Was told price but charged more

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Brad001

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MD

I have never really needed advice from a contract standpoint but after purchasing a vehicle I now require the knowledge of those experienced in these matters. Thanks for reading.

Here is my situation: I negotiated the purhcase price of a used vehicle via email exhanges with the internet sales manager at the the dealership. He informed me of what the purchase price would be plus addiitional fees to include taxes, title, tags. He indiated that the title fee was $200. Happy with the prices I proceeded to the dealership. Not to go into too much detail, the experience at the dealership was awful. The car wasn't ready at the time I told them I'd be there. We had to wait for them to clean the car and vaccum it out which when they were "done" it was still filthy and we had to ask them to do it again. After a couple of hours of waiting for them to finish up the car I finally signed the paperwork. I thought all was well. I needed a co-signer for the vehicle who wasn't able to be with me when I went to get the car. The salesman was actually nice enough to come to my house (~75 miles from the dealership) and have the co-signer sign their part. When I was looking over the paperwork I noticed a $500 title fee. I asked the salesman about this while he was at the house and he wasn't too sure about it and said he wouldn't be the person to ask about the different fees. In addition to the $500 title fee that was charged there was also a $200 dealer processing fee. I don't know if I saw the $200 processing fee on the paperwork and thought that was the title fee or what but I'm not sure what I can do if anything. I fully understand that I am solely responsible for making sure I carefully read every line of the paperwork before I sign to make sure the numbers are correct. The only thing I really looked at was to make sure my down payment was accounted for which it was. I know it is my mistake for signing papers without looking at every single line and trust me I'm kicking myself now and going forward won't ever do it again. The only thing I can say is this is my first car purchase that I'm financing and that after all the time wasted at the dealership due to their poor service I just wanted out of there. No excuse I know and it looks like I may pay the price for it. Is there anything I can do or not? Thanks in advance for the help. I greatly appreciate it.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MD

I have never really needed advice from a contract standpoint but after purchasing a vehicle I now require the knowledge of those experienced in these matters. Thanks for reading.

Here is my situation: I negotiated the purhcase price of a used vehicle via email exhanges with the internet sales manager at the the dealership. He informed me of what the purchase price would be plus addiitional fees to include taxes, title, tags. He indiated that the title fee was $200. Happy with the prices I proceeded to the dealership. Not to go into too much detail, the experience at the dealership was awful. The car wasn't ready at the time I told them I'd be there. We had to wait for them to clean the car and vaccum it out which when they were "done" it was still filthy and we had to ask them to do it again. After a couple of hours of waiting for them to finish up the car I finally signed the paperwork. I thought all was well. I needed a co-signer for the vehicle who wasn't able to be with me when I went to get the car. The salesman was actually nice enough to come to my house (~75 miles from the dealership) and have the co-signer sign their part. When I was looking over the paperwork I noticed a $500 title fee. I asked the salesman about this while he was at the house and he wasn't too sure about it and said he wouldn't be the person to ask about the different fees. In addition to the $500 title fee that was charged there was also a $200 dealer processing fee. I don't know if I saw the $200 processing fee on the paperwork and thought that was the title fee or what but I'm not sure what I can do if anything. I fully understand that I am solely responsible for making sure I carefully read every line of the paperwork before I sign to make sure the numbers are correct. The only thing I really looked at was to make sure my down payment was accounted for which it was. I know it is my mistake for signing papers without looking at every single line and trust me I'm kicking myself now and going forward won't ever do it again. The only thing I can say is this is my first car purchase that I'm financing and that after all the time wasted at the dealership due to their poor service I just wanted out of there. No excuse I know and it looks like I may pay the price for it. Is there anything I can do or not? Thanks in advance for the help. I greatly appreciate it.
The contract is the deal. I'm sure there is a clause that says (paraphrasing) that the contract represents the entire agreement. It is the sum of all prior negotiations.

Brad001

The contract is the deal. I'm sure there is a clause that says (paraphrasing) that the contract represents the entire agreement. It is the sum of all prior negotiations.
Thanks Zigner for your reply. So it looks like a live and learn lesson? Is it possible that it was a mistake on the dealer's end? I suppose even if it was they would likely not admit to it and claim that's what their fee is or that the paperwork is already signed and completed.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Thanks Zigner for your reply. So it looks like a live and learn lesson? Is it possible that it was a mistake on the dealer's end? I suppose even if it was they would likely not admit to it and claim that's what their fee is or that the paperwork is already signed and completed.
There is nothing preventing you from discussing your concerns with the dealer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">