• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

USPS lost package - they want receipt for proof of value (value exceeds rcpt amount)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jgombos

What is the name of your state? OH

I scored a really good deal on a wireless iPod transmitter/receiver. I mailed it as a gift for someone, and bought insurance. It was only around $6 because of a promotion, but if I had to buy it again today, it would cost ~$50.

The USPS claims process requires that proof of value come in the form of the receipt, or credit card statement. The problem is, if they reimburse the six dollars, that won't replace the device which now costs around $48.50 plus shipping.

Am I entitled to recover the replacement cost?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state? OH

I scored a really good deal on a wireless iPod transmitter/receiver. I mailed it as a gift for someone, and bought insurance. It was only around $6 because of a promotion, but if I had to buy it again today, it would cost ~$50.

The USPS claims process requires that proof of value come in the form of the receipt, or credit card statement. The problem is, if they reimburse the six dollars, that won't replace the device which now costs around $48.50 plus shipping.

Am I entitled to recover the replacement cost?
You are entitled to your actual loss. That just happens to be $6

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">