• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

utility bill

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

Rmabbett

What is the name of your state? California
I have lived in a townhouse in Bakersfield for 13 months. I moved in in July, 2002. Till March I never received a gas bill, so assumed it was paid for. I was notified in March that my gas would be shut off unless I signed up. I called an signed up and started receiving my bill in April.
The gas company says I owe $302 from July 2002 to March 2003. All this time it was still in the persons name that used to live here. Am I responsible for this bill from July 2002 till March 2003 when I put it in my name?
I figured if the person who lived here before me is responsible to have it turned off, then is responsible for the bill until doing so.

How do I deal with this situation?:)

JETX

"Am I responsible for this bill from July 2002 till March 2003 when I put it in my name?"
*** Since you moved in on that date, you are responsible for the billing incurred during your tenancy. Though you might have a valid complaint about the previous tenant not handling 'there' end of this, you had a greater obligation to make sure that the account was in your name.

And I would assume that the lease clearly says that tenant is responsible for utilities (or at least gas), so you can't say that you "assumed it was paid for".

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">