• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Utility Bill Payment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

geedublin

I recently lived at a house which was being rented by a roommate who could not get accounts with public utilities. I was not on the lease contract, but I agreed to have the Electric Bill and Telephone Bill under my name. After several months I married and moved out. My roommate could not have either of the two power bills switched in her name, so I verbally agreed to leave them in my name. (There were no balances on either bills when I moved out.) Her and a new roommate that moved in ran up both bills in the three months after I moved out, then they moved out. I would assume that they both would still agree they are responisble. Is there any way I can get the responsibility off of me or out of my name? This is in California.

Thank You,
Natalie:confused:

Last edited:

racer72

You should have thought of that when you moved out. You are responsible for all the bills up to the time you removed your name. Then you may have to sue the former roomy for the balance due.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">