• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

utility bills listed on chap 7

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

graysp

What is the name of your state? TX
I have listed my past due utility bills on my chapter 7 bankruptcy forms .... I still have service and I'm making payments, but the outstanding amounts at the time of filing bankruptcy have not been totally paid up yet. How does this effect my 341 meeting and final discharge of debts?

djohnson

It's an unsecured debt and treated as such. You are under no obligation to pay for any usage charge prior to the date you filed. Any payments you are making should be on a post petition account for current charges.

G

graysp

Thanks ever so much for your reply! I really do appreciate it!

Previously, I had asked my court-assigned trustee the same question; but, she curtly refused to give me any information and she didn't even know any of the circumstances that had lead to my filing bankruptcy. She also tartly told me if I wanted advice I should have hired an attorney to represent me from the beginning .....

That's when I replied if I'd had the $$$ to afford the high-price attorney in the first place, I wouldn't be in bankruptcy now! Guess I'm just a simple person, but I can't understand why some people go out of their way to be nasty to others.

Anyway, thanks again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">