• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Utility company

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sajoseph

What is the name of your state?Florida
Try to stay with me.

We lived at an in laws house while they were away for 4 years, when they returned, on short notice, we moved. Didnt have the $ for a deposit as it is high in Florida, so just had a second account turned on at our address in the in laws name, with their permission. Anyway, 3 years later (Last month) they sell the house and up and leave. They leave the electric on, and it stays on until the bill reaches $1200. The power at this address gets turned off, and the final $1200 bill comes to us, because hence, the account is in their name as well. I understand this, but when I find out they left, I gather $450 to turn the power on in OUR name and cancel his, because I cannot pay $1200 bill that HE accrued and left. I get all the info I need. FPL assures me that the in law will have a collections account and it will not affect us. Well, a month gone by and FPL notifies us that if we do not pay $1200 of the in laws account by Christmas, we will have power cut off! I dont have that much to my name!!!!!!!! Besides, this was not OUR account. That is like saying my mom gets a credit card, leaves town and I have to pay it because I have the same address as her. They did a background check and said because my license has this address on it, I used power, I am responsible! How so???

Are they trying to get us, knowing there is no ground to stand on? Or are they right? I dont see it if they are, because in Fla we have names on our accounts for electric for a reason, they do not go by property addresses. What the heck do I do?They said they'd give us an extension, only 15 days to pay in full. Gee, thoughtful huh??

seniorjudge

sajoseph said:
What is the name of your state?Florida
Try to stay with me.

We lived at an in laws house while they were away for 4 years, when they returned, on short notice, we moved. Didnt have the $ for a deposit as it is high in Florida, so just had a second account turned on at our address in the in laws name, with their permission. Anyway, 3 years later (Last month) they sell the house and up and leave. They leave the electric on, and it stays on until the bill reaches $1200. The power at this address gets turned off, and the final $1200 bill comes to us, because hence, the account is in their name as well. I understand this, but when I find out they left, I gather $450 to turn the power on in OUR name and cancel his, because I cannot pay $1200 bill that HE accrued and left. I get all the info I need. FPL assures me that the in law will have a collections account and it will not affect us. Well, a month gone by and FPL notifies us that if we do not pay $1200 of the in laws account by Christmas, we will have power cut off! I dont have that much to my name!!!!!!!! Besides, this was not OUR account. That is like saying my mom gets a credit card, leaves town and I have to pay it because I have the same address as her. They did a background check and said because my license has this address on it, I used power, I am responsible! How so???

Are they trying to get us, knowing there is no ground to stand on? Or are they right? I dont see it if they are, because in Fla we have names on our accounts for electric for a reason, they do not go by property addresses. What the heck do I do?They said they'd give us an extension, only 15 days to pay in full. Gee, thoughtful huh??

If you never had the first account cancelled, then you owe the money.

http://www.psc.state.fl.us/

Talk to them; it won't hurt and sometimes it does good.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">