• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Utility company Smart Meter trickery, Maryland

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

2cents

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MD

I received a paper-door notice from the energy company (BGE) about access to my indoor meter. In the notice, the meter replacement box was unchecked. However, upon contacting them, I was told that the real purpose was to replace my current analog meter with a wireless digital one. I was reminded that they can shut me down if I don't obey. So it sounds like coercion to upgrade to a new meter even when my current meter is OK. She told me it was not a smart meter but a digital wireless one (????). She did not want to tell me the model of the meter that they want to install. On the internet, you can read all short of stories about the rates doubling with the new meters and being stuck once they perform the change.

Can they legally shut the power to my house off if I keep the same meter even when paying the bills?

Where could I read about what legal measures to take?

Thanks

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MD

I received a paper-door notice from the energy company (BGE) about access to my indoor meter. In the notice, the meter replacement box was unchecked. However, upon contacting them, I was told that the real purpose was to replace my current analog meter with a wireless digital one. I was reminded that they can shut me down if I don't obey. So it sounds like coercion to upgrade to a new meter even when my current meter is OK. She told me it was not a smart meter but a digital wireless one (????). She did not want to tell me the model of the meter that they want to install. On the internet, you can read all short of stories about the rates doubling with the new meters and being stuck once they perform the change.

Can they legally shut the power to my house off if I keep the same meter even when paying the bills?

Where could I read about what legal measures to take?

Thanks
Yes, you have to allow them access to their property.

2cents

Yes. I have no problem letting them get to the meter. But not changing it for a new wireless digital model with over the air programmable future features. It is an embeded computer that can be programmed and configured at will. Once day does one thing the next day has a different program. Also, there are many safety concerns (radiation), privacy, higher rates, etc.. They can shut you down at will from an office computer. Thus they gain much control. Some can be read here:

marylandsmartmeterawareness.org/

My original question is if they can legally shut me down for not "upgrading" the meter even if I pay extra. That was the verbal threat from the woman on the phone.

According to this: http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2015RS/bills/sb/sb0009f.pdf

The definition of "smart meter" is a wireless digital meter, which is what they tried to pushed. But the woman on the phone said that a digital wireless meter was not a smart meter. Ja! Having a computer as a meter got to be the biggest rip off ever. If it is hard to challenge them on an analog meter imagine the nightmare to prove anything with a digital. They can temporarily adjust the meter wireless (change computer variables) for a test and then revert back once the smoke clears. And you pay for their computer usage energy. It is a wireless computer with a meter.

Last edited:

FlyingRon

They don't need a smart meter to screw you if they wanted to. Reynolds has a fine set of habberdashery for you.

CdwJava

Well, you have two choices: One, engage an attorney, defy BGE and fight the switch to a meter ... and prepare to be in a blackout for a while. Or, two, allow them to swap the meter out and likely save yourself thousands of dollars.

Your call.

2cents

http://marylandsmartmeterawareness.org/opt-out-news/option-to-defer-smart-meters/

In order to defer the installation of a Smart Meter on your home or business, the PSC’s order indicates that you must do so in writing.

We recommend that you send your notice via certified letter to:

Baltimore Gas and Electric Smart Grid Opt Out
P.O. Box 1475
Baltimore, MD 21203
[email protected]

NOTICE OF DEFERRAL OF INSTALLATION OF SMART METERS PER PSC’S ORDER NO. 84926 DATED MAY 24, 2012

I am hereby notifying {name of utility here} and its agents that you are not to install a Smart Meter anywhere on my property pursuant to Order No. 84926 issued by the Maryland Public Service Commission on May 24, 2012.

Sign your name, include your account number, and address. In addition, we recommend sending a copy to:

Public Service Commission
Attn: David J. Collins, Executive Secretary
William Donald Schaefer Tower
6 St. Paul Street, 16th Floor
Baltimore, MD 21202-6806
A trick is that they are not calling an upgradable wireless digital meter a smart meter. Yet, in legal papers, that is the definition.

Last edited:

CdwJava

Well, do what you wish and hope that they ARE bluffing about turning off the power, or this may cost you a lot of money.

Of course, opting out will cost you more money each month plus a $75 fee to opt out. And, it seems, there will be additional fees down the road.

We had all manner of gnashing teeth, tales of woe, and horror stories here when PG&E went to Smart Meters ... for the most part, all the gloom and doom was a tad overdone. Some people will see conspiracy and sinister plots in the most mundane of things.

Last edited:

2cents

Might help if the OP was to pull his tin foil hat on a little tighter.
Enjoy the higher rates
Enjoy the microwave radiation
Enjoy the lack of privacy (ie. internet of things)
Enjoy your personal information gathered being sold to third companies
Enjoy the potential meter hacks (accessible through the air with a cheap $15 rtl sdr and dsd+)
Enjoy the untold continuous meter "upgrades" (programmable through the air)

All I want is an analog meter. See?

$10 a month is cheaper than an extra $1000 a year. There is a strong economical motivation for the utility company to push it though.

Last edited:

TigerD

All I want is an analog meter. See?
Spend your own money building your own power plant, running your own power lines, buying your own coal, natural gas, or Uranium, and installing the meters you want to use.

It should only cost you about $3-400,000 to power your own house independently within code and about $15-20 billion to compete with your current power company.

TD

2cents

News Flash: You don't always get what you want.
But I already have it. Why don't you tell them your news ;)

Spend your own money building your own power plant, running your own power lines, buying your own coal, natural gas, or Uranium, and installing the meters you want to use.

It should only cost you about $3-400,000 to power your own house independently within code and about $15-20 billion to compete with your current power company.

TD
Nope. Solar is cheaper than grid and they don't control you.

Any more good ideas? Love it.

OK-LL

To answer the question of whether the provider can discontinue your electric service, you would refer to the tariff agreement which lays out the responsibilities of the provider and the customer. I believe this document is authorized by the public utility oversight entity in your state.

2cents

to answer the question of whether the provider can discontinue your electric service, you would refer to the tariff agreement which lays out the responsibilities of the provider and the customer. I believe this document is authorized by the public utility oversight entity in your state.
__thank you__

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">