• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Vacation Rental Deposit Refund

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

superwomyn

Hi,

I recently cancelled a reservation with a vacation rental in Washington state. The owner is refusing to refund our $650 deposit. We never signed a contract with her. There was no indication that the deposit was non-refundable. The deposit was to hold the vacation rental for our wedding in JULY 2007. We have given the owner ample notice (4+ months), we have not received any services from her, and we have not received our deposit back. Does anyone know what we can do to get our money back? It seems illegal that she is keeping money for no services rendered.

(Also she is threatening to take us to court for the entire amount she quoted us for the weekend reservation ($2300+) -- she's nuts if she thinks she can get any more money out of us!)

Thank you.

superwomyn

Anyone?

This is my plan -- we are giving her a day to cool down. Tomorrow I'm going to call her and say we can do this the easy way or the hard way. The easy way is for her to refund our money either by sending a check or reversing the charge on our credit card by next Thursday. If we don't receive our money by EOB Thursday she will hear from our lawyer on Friday and we will file a complaint with the BBB about her company. We'll see what she does.

What do you guys think?

outonbail

Having an attorney contact her might rattle her cage a little. The BBB will not help you in getting your money back. They probably won't have any affect on her whatsoever.

Are you in the same state?
How did you find this rental in the first place? On line, newspaper, agent?

lcarson

Rude

Hi, I guess I am not familiar with "your rules" but really why are you being mean to me and rude.

outonbail

Hi, I guess I am not familiar with "your rules" but really why are you being mean to me and rude.
I don't believe Racer was trying to be mean or rude to you.
But you have posted to a thread that is over six months old. Hence, the OP has probably resolved the legal problem they were dealing with back in the beginning of March. So it is very doubtful that she will even be coming back to this thread looking for any more information. In fact, she hasn't even posted to the thread herself since the day she started this thread.
But what tends to happen when someone posts to an old thread like this, is other members, (mostly new members) don't realize the age of the original post and so they add their comments and we end up with a thread that can go on for a couple of pages, filled with advice that isn't going to serve the OP any useful purpose, since their problem no longer exists and they will not see all he replies which were posted six months after they needed the advice.

So if you have a similar problem, it's fine to search and read through old threads to get a feel for the road you're probably going to travel in order to resolve your issue. But if you need advice, it is much preferred that you start a new thread of your own.

There now, my post wasn't mean or rude right?

But you see how long I had to carry on, just to tell you what Racer told you in one sentence? Racer may not have had the time to give you the sugar coated reply....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">