• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Vehicle Extended Warranty

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

by0b

California,
I bought the extended vehicle warranty(Mechanical Falure Service Contract). The salesman told my wife and I that we were covered up to 5 years or 100,000 miles if anything went wrong with the vehicle. The vehicle blew the long block and a new engine is required. The warranty company says i must pay for a complete engine breakdown to determine if there is a defective part or the warrenty is void. I signed the front of the contract at the time of purchase. I didnt know there was multi-pages that define it as a defective warranty when there is nothing on the front page relating to a defect. I cant find anywhere in the contract that states that i am responsible to pay for a breakdown. I'm thinking about small claiming the warranty and the dealer for misrepresentating of the warranty. Am I full of it or do I have a reasonable chance. Thanks

sandyclaus

California,
I bought the extended vehicle warranty(Mechanical Falure Service Contract). The salesman told my wife and I that we were covered up to 5 years or 100,000 miles if anything went wrong with the vehicle. The vehicle blew the long block and a new engine is required. The warranty company says i must pay for a complete engine breakdown to detaermine if there is a defective part or the warrenty is void. I signed the front of the contract at the time of purchase. I didnt know there was multi-pages that define it as a defective warranty when there is nothing on the front page relating to a defect. I cant find anywhere in the contract that states that i am responsible to pay for a breakdown. I'm thinking about small claiming the warranty and the dealer for misrepresentating of the warranty. Am I full of it or do I have a reasonable chance. Thanks
Did you actually READ what the warranty is supposed to cover before you signed and agreed to it? Did you see anywhere that you would be responsible for the cost of an engine breakdown in order to determine whether the warranty should apply (defective part) or not (user fault)? Does it say, or did they tell you, whether or not the cost of the breakdown is reimbursable if the warranty is to apply?

If you only signed the cover, and didn't bother to read what was covered, then the fault is your own. You should NEVER take a salesman at their word without knowing full well what you are signing.

We tend to see a LOT of people here who failed to read the contract they signed, then complained that it wasn't what they expected it to be. We almost ALWAYS tell them that they need to read things before they blindly sign them.

swalsh411

Get a copy of the full warranty and see if it's covered. What the salesperson told you verbally is irrelevant because A) You can't prove it and B) it doesn't count for squat.

OHRoadwarrior

If you do not comply with the terms of the aftermarket warranty, you are not entitled to collect on it. Most are a major waste of money. The salesman did nothing wrong.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">