• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Vehicle purchase

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jordano1

Utah

I purchased a vehicle from someone with cash. They gave me a bill of sale, a title reprint, and a registration. The car is still registered under the original owner. I went to the DMV to register the car, but the DMV said I couldn't because there was a lien on the car. After this, I realized my mistake and requested a refund from the guy who sold me the car, because I didn't get the title, and because this was going to be a bit more complicated. I was denied the refund from the person who sold me the car, and was told this was a "done deal" After hearing this I lapsed into a bit of terror because, I just gave this guy $3000 for nothing.

The title reprint says that if the car is sold with a lien then I can take the seller to court, I'm not sure if I'm reading this correctly though

"As owner, I hereby transfer all rights, title, and interest to this vehicle to the new owner named below. I certify, to the best of my knowledge, that the title is free and clear of encumbrances, except the lien to the new lien holder, if any. I certify that the odometer and sales information provided is correct, and that any brand information recorded on the previous certificate of title has been disclosed to the new owner and lien holder"

writing that out doesn't make me feel any better, it seems as though it doesn't really even matter. Basically it sounds like I'm going to be the new lien holder.

I feel this is fraud, the guy won't give me my money back, and won't let me talk to his wife who is the owner of the vehicle. I'm not really sure what to do here.

The husband was the one who actually sold me the car, and put the wife's information on the bill of sale.

What are my options here? What can I do?

Also what kind of question would this be? Did I choose the correct category?

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You can sue the bad guy. This is one of the times that "as-is" doesn't apply since the seller was unable to give you a clear title (clear of liens). It may be worth it to have an attorney write a letter to the guy explaining why he is wrong and why you would prevail in court if it came to that.

jordano1

You can sue the bad guy. This is one of the times that "as-is" doesn't apply since the seller was unable to give you a clear title (clear of liens). It may be worth it to have an attorney write a letter to the guy explaining why he is wrong and why you would prevail in court if it came to that.
I'm scared about doing anything like texting the guy and telling him this information because I'm kind of at his mercy, he could really just call the cops and say he's missing his car and that I stole it. I've heard people telling me that could happen so I have to be careful. I'm not sure if that's true or not.

Zigner

I'm scared about doing anything like texting the guy and telling him this information because I'm kind of at his mercy, he could really just call the cops and say he's missing his car and that I stole it. I've heard people telling me that could happen so I have to be careful. I'm not sure if that's true or not.
Seriously? You have all the paperwork, don't let him bully you like that.

justalayman

He can't do anything of the sort because he didn't own the car

Did you go to this guys house or did you buy it in some parking lot somewhere?

Was the lien indicated on the title you recieved?

jordano1

Seriously? You have all the paperwork, don't let him bully you like that.
Thanks for the slap in the face, you're right. I need to not be a coward and ask for what's rightfully mine. I'll figure this all out and let him know what is going on.

I am actually super pissed off as all of this could have been avoided had he just given me my refund.

jordano1

He can't do anything of the sort because he didn't own the car

Did you go to this guys house or did you buy it in some parking lot somewhere?

Was the lien indicated on the title you recieved?
He met me at my work. I know where he lives and who he works for, I also know his wife and who she works for. They seemed as ignorant as I was about purchasing and the process put into purchasing a car. There was no lien indicated, and he said the car was paid off. I don't really know where to check if there is a lien indicated, but yeah, he said the car was paid off.

justalayman

So that removes it being a Curbstoner. That's good news at least

Also, the loan the lien is based on May actually be paid off but either the owner didn't get a release of the lender never filed one with the state.

Maybe this is innocent.

jordano1

So that removes it being a Curbstoner. That's good news at least

Also, the loan the lien is based on May actually be paid off but either the owner didn't get a release of the lender never filed one with the state.

Maybe this is innocent.
It might be innocent, but I still want my money back. I'm driving a car I don't own the title for, registered under the owners name. When I asked for my money back, he said he already spent it.

I just want my money back, it's a decent car and I'm sure he could sell it to someone else, but I have been a month without the title. It's very concerning and I don't know if I'm going to get pulled over and arrested or if I'm going to not get the title and get screwed by the seller. The money he spent went to a down payment on his house. I'm frustrated because If this was a done deal then he would have given me the title. But he hasn't. Not only that, but the title isn't even his right now.

BL

AS was said ,consult an Attorney for a small fee ,and have him write and sent a letter to the seller.

Have him demand that he either produces a satisfaction of the lien has been paid off to you for DMV ,and the actual title , not a copy print, or you will have no choice but to utilize your legal rights and remedies.

Of course you could send a letter yourself RRR Certified letter through the US Postal Service ,keeping a copy and the receipt it was picked up. If it were to come back to you unoped ,do not open it but take everything to court and sue.

Last edited:

Zigner

It might be innocent, but I still want my money back. I'm driving a car I don't own the title for, registered under the owners name. When I asked for my money back, he said he already spent it.

I just want my money back, it's a decent car and I'm sure he could sell it to someone else, but I have been a month without the title. It's very concerning and I don't know if I'm going to get pulled over and arrested or if I'm going to not get the title and get screwed by the seller. The money he spent went to a down payment on his house. I'm frustrated because If this was a done deal then he would have given me the title. But he hasn't. Not only that, but the title isn't even his right now.
Actually, he (they) could resolve this by simply providing marketable title. You may end up keeping the car.

jordano1

Actually, he (they) could resolve this by simply providing marketable title. You may end up keeping the car.
Ok, well, at least at that point it will have been resolved.

I'll do the things suggested here. I really appreciate all the information shared.

Thank you all.

If there are additional comments I'll come by and look through them.

Thanks again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">