• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Vehicle Recall Problem

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Haggis65

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?VA

My 2002 X-Type Jag, purchased 2nd hand, recently developed a transmission problem, The repair shop informed me that this is a common problem with this age and model. The car is outside the warranty and repairs would be $5,000. The mechanic did mention that he believed there was a recall on this transmission years ago.
On researching further, I managed to get a hold of the recall and my vehicle did fall into the terms of the recall.
I first checked that no work had been done via this recall by the original owner and there were none.
I then contacted Dealership where the vehicle was originally purchased and where I bought it. They informed me that the recall had since been "closed".
This confused me as I wasn't aware of recalls ever closing, so I contacted Jaguar USA. They gave me roughly the same story.

My question is, has anyone ever heard of a similar story and should I seek professional help to take this recall issue further, before I hand over $5K for repairs that maybe should be covered?

Many thanks in advance.

Last edited:

BL

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?VA

My 2002 X-Type Jag, purchased 2nd hand, recently developed a transmission problem, The repair shop informed me that this is a common problem with this age and model. The car is outside the warranty and repairs would be $5,000. The mechanic did mention that he believed there was a recall on this transmission years ago.
On researching further, I managed to get a hold of the recall and my vehicle did fall into the terms of the recall.
I first checked that no work had been done via this recall by the original owner and there were none.
I then contacted Dealership where the vehicle was originally purchased and where I bought it. They informed me that the recall had since been "closed".
This confused me as I wasn't aware of recalls ever closing, so I contacted Jaguar USA. They gave me roughly the same story.

My question is, has anyone ever heard of a similar story and should I seek professional help to take this recall issue further, before I hand over $5K for repairs that maybe should be covered?

Many thanks in advance.
Visit Batauto.com - forums. Register and follow the posting rules .

Your subject should be posted under transmissions . Post the TBS - recall and ask the fine folks there what is the status .

While this site is help for do it yourselves , they should be able to steer you in the right direction , and if it's not covered under recall suggest a lower cost alternative ,if any.

Last edited:

Haggis65

Visit Batauto.com - forums. Register and follow the posting rules .

Your subject should be posted under transmissions . Post the TBS - recall and ask the fine folks there what is the status .

While this site is help for do it yourselves , they should be able to steer you in the right direction , and if it's not covered under recall suggest a lower cost alternative ,if any.

Thanks BL, advice very much appreciated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">