• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Vehicle repair estimate overrun.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hei64701

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? SC

I hired a 'reputable' mechanic shop to replace the engine on my 1996 Toyota truck with a re-manufactured engine for an $5600. The private party value of the truck is around $3000. Because the condition of the exterior/interior is excellent, the truck was worth the price of the new engine to me but that the limit.

I told the Manager that I was willing to pay for additional diagnostics to uncover/evaluate any additional work that was required in excess of the estimate before I committed to having the engine replaced. They said no addition diagnostics were needed. I gave them a $1500 deposit and committed to have the work done for the price of their estimate.

They have now had my vehicle for 6 weeks. The engine is installed but has not been run. They have overrun the estimate by ~$500. They want an additional $2000 to get the engine up and running so they can evaluate what further needs to be done to make the vehicle operable. The problems that they are now discovering should/would have been discovered with proper diagnostics.

They have my truck in pieces. The re-manufactured engine is virtually worthless. I have a bill of ~$6500 with an estimate of an additional $2000 to get the engine up and running.

I need legal advice.

xylene

Is there a warranty on the engine? At that price I would expect there to be. Who did they buy the engine from?

I don't want to be pessimistic, but this situation doesn't look good.

There is an expression "in for a Penny in for a Pound."

I know you had expectations and wanting to only spend so much, but you did realize there was a possibility of astronomical no-limit expense on a project like this. That is why you really have to love a vehicle to even consider replacing the engine.

Could you outline more specifically the problems? Are you claiming they are incompetent?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">