• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Vehicle repossession!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

DeAnn

California,financed a vehicle approx 3 years ago,notified finance company about a job and pay period change and gave them my new address and phone number,also notified them that because of pay period change,I would miss a payment but,would get caught up ASAP. 3 weeks later,wake up to find car gone,called police,car had been repoed! .3 years later they want me to pay,$8000.00 for a car I don't have.Told them I want to seek legal advise,they wanted the name and # to my attorney,I refused,they became very rude and threatening.They call me at work which I have told them can and will get me fired,they said they will call me any time and any where they like. They are threatening to take 25% of my wages. I feel I was treated unfairly and don't know what to do? Bankruptcy? Quit my job,or lose it because they harass me at work?:( I dont even know who the man is who called today and he wouldnt tell me. When I told him I would record our conversation, he hung up in my ear! HELP!!

L

loku

It sounds like there is nothing you can do about the repossession. You missed a payment, and most likely under your finance contract, that gave them the right to the repossession. Also, if the repossession was properly handled, there is nothing you can do about the money you still owe them. Assuming they computed the amount correctly, they can sue you for it and garnishee your wages.

However, there is something you can do about the harassment. There is a federal fair debt collection act that gives you rights and limits the creditor’s. Take this link to our explanation of the Act and what you can do to stop the harassment: http://bankruptcy-law.freeadvice.com/credit_problems/debt_collection.htm.

T

twosidesofeverystory

what was the ballance of the loan on the auto? and how long dwas left on the loan? most car loans ar 60 months and you'd have paid off more than half by then sounds like they are trying to get in your pocket. when was your payments do and when was the car repossed? there is a grace perid in most contractes. i am not a legal rep. just a consumer and have worked in the automotive business for 15 years

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">