• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Vehicle sales contract law and repossession due to error.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SL**

Arizona:

I financed a vehicle in Arizona.
I paid over $13K towards the car between the downpayment and 21 monthly payments towards the loan.
The loan company found the contract to be invalid and severed the contract at that point, taking repossession of the vehicle.
They told me I cannot get the car back.
They told me I cannot get my money back because it has already been paid towards the car (to the dealership).
Can I sue the dealership to get the large amount of money I paid towards that car and the loan back- if the situation was bad enough for the loan company to say the contract is invalid?

Details below:

The dealership ran my credit application using my social security number through their personal finance company. The inquiry they ran for the loan appears on my credit report.
The social security number put on my application by the sales man at the dealership is that of someone with the same first name and middle initial as me, but a different last name and different social security number than mine.​

After being told that I was approved for the loan and then asked to sign the application (yes, this is the sequence of events- and is backwards), I did, declaring the information on the application was true and correct. No, I did not look at the information on the application because I was told I was approved I have run credit applications for credit cards for work before; if any information is incorrect it will come back declined.

My social security number is not on the contract, it is only on the loan application.

I discovered my social security number was incorrect with the loan company after 18 months of payments on the vehicle when I tried to use my SSN to make a payment as I did not have my statement/ account # in front of me. They then discovered the SSN on the application was incorrect. SIX months after this was discovered, the loan company took repossession of the vehicle and told me the contract was invalid because of the SSN and they told me that I could not get the vehicle back nor my money back because it had already been paid towards the vehicle.

The finance company would not agree to finance the car with my credit score at this time and stated I would need to try to finance the vehicle with a different company or simply walk away from the car (scott free, owing no money, nothing to be reported under my SSN/ to the credit bureaus) because the contract is not valid. They said it would be in my best interest to simply walk away from the car and try to get a new one.

The dealership claims to have only my AZDL and college school ID on file for ID. Yet they initially ran my correct SSN for the application as the loan company's inquiry was on my credit report and the dealership ended up putting a different SSN on the application after running it. So they had my SSN on a form or in the form of my card at some point before having me sign the application. My information on the application is not in my handwriting (address/ SSN/ etc), but the salesman's.

If the loan company saw this as an opportunity to walk away from the contract and suggested I do the same without penalty- because the contract is invalid, can I sue the dealership for the money I paid towards the car if the contract was not valid in the first place?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">