• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Vehicle service contract: Definition of "breakdown"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cedrus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OR

Our RV developed a crack and damp spot...but NO LEAK...in the radiator while we were about 1/2 way to AZ from OR. This was pointed out to me by a mobile mechanic who was under the RV looking at an unrelated dash air conditioner problem. It was about 100 degrees in beautiful Bakersfield, CA so we turned around and came home. Contract administrator looked at radiator and denied coverage for repair or replacement. "No coolant on the ground".

Had the radiator replaced on my dime. Asked contract administrator 2x to re-read their definition of a "breakdown" and reimburse me. They have not replied since 21 July 14.

Their wording of a breakdown is when a covered item "**************.failed when it can no longer perform the function for which it was designed, solely because of its condition"

My view is that the radiator DID FAIL because we could not continue to AZ and went home; stopping frequently and going under the RV to check the radiator. What is the view of mod and posters, please?

Additionally, there is a clause in the contract obligating me to "....protect your motor home from further damage when breakdown has occurred" So.....if I was to continue to AZ in 100 degree temp and the radiator lost all the coolant....and the engine was damaged.....there would be no coverage for me.....for the radiator or engine.

So..it seems they have me coming and going.....unless someone can interpret their contract wording....to my advantage.

Thank you

aldaron

You say rad leaks, they say there's no visible presence of a leak. Take pics when it does leak even if just on the ground. Sometimes things leak only when hot. You can't blame them if they don't see a leak and it isn't leaking at that time.

Cedrus

It never did leak....at any time. Just a visible crack and a damp spot on the crack.

I am pinning my hopes of their definition of a "breakdown" :rolleyes:

Cedrus

I wrote AARP On Your Side, about this on 9/13. No reply.

Also wrote Good Sam Action Line on 9/16. No reply.

So.....any one want to chime in about my interpretation of the contract wording of "breakdown" ? The radiator did not get us from OR to AZ, which was the function for which it was designed.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I wrote AARP On Your Side, about this on 9/13. No reply.

Also wrote Good Sam Action Line on 9/16. No reply.

So.....any one want to chime in about my interpretation of the contract wording of "breakdown" ? The radiator did not get us from OR to AZ, which was the function for which it was designed.
The radiator was still functioning. In fact, it got you all the way home from Bakersfield in 100° temperatures.

I'm going to side with the Contract Administrator on this one. The radiator may have lasted another 5,000 miles for you all (or they) know. Saying that it was going to break down doesn't help you, as that can be said about almost any component on the vehicle. Heck, it can be said about people. We're all going to die. Does that mean we all have a terminal illness?

ETA: I'd like to point out that Bakersfield to Oregon is over 500 miles, including some pretty decent grades you had to climb. I'd say that the radiator performed admirably up until the point that you replaced it as a preventative measure.

Last edited:

racer72

You had what is called a weeper. Generally very small and rarely if ever a problem. I had one on a radiator in a race car and it was never a problem. The cooling system held the pressure and my car never overheated, the conditions were many time worse than what you would experience in your RV. I think you over reacted.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">