• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

verbal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

X

xoxo love

"friendly" verbal contract help please!!

stressed in iowa

a friend of mine offered to sell me a painting she had gotten for free. i had been holding it for her for months. the agreement went like this...

verbally i agreed to pay $300 over 5 years or more. i have paid $25 to her and invested $25 to be able to hang it. i have had the painting 1.5 years. last month she called and demanded her money in full or the painting. i said i can't do it all now but i would try. i did not make another agreement. i worked out a loan but it fell through. at this point she has called everyday (and more) and is leaving notes saying that she i coming to get the painting. i plan to pay her off in the time we agreed on. i can't do it now and this amount of haressment is starting to get to me.

do i have to do what she says? do i have to return it?
i believe legally i am in the right but i need some help dealing with this mess. what legal rights do i have in this matter?

stressed in iowa
xoxo

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">