• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

verbal contract?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sosumi52

State: Massachusetts

I recently took a friend on a trip to Florida with me. I offered to pay all toll and gas, share hotel and food costs, provide free lodging at my home in return for assistance with repairs on my house. I met my obligations and have receipts to show. My girlfriend and I were also going to rent him a room in our shared Cape Cod home upon his return. We also offered him one month free rent to thank him for his assistance with the work on my Florida home. During the two month with him I discovered that he has a vile temper triggered by the most trivial things i.e. forgotten toothbrush. He would curse, yell, throw things around etc. After witnessing this too many times, I paid for a flight back to Mass. for him. We also decided not to rent to him and informed him of that. He now insists that the offer of months free rent $350 is due to him in cash based on 'services rendered'.

We think he may take us to small claims to get this money. Does he have any legal rights?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">