• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

verbal contract, failure to finish work

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mashall

IL We hired a contractor to dig a pond and do some road work, he quoted us $25,000. We went ahead with a verbal agreement. After a couple of weeks of work he said he was a little short on cash, so we paid him $26,500 up front and he said we'd be good and that there was about a week and a half of work left. Shortly after that the ground froze and the pond wasn't finished, he now says he'll need an additional $6,300 to finish the work, and he wouldn't be able to get to it for at least 1.5 months. Is our contract valid? What recourse do we have?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

mashall said:
IL We hired a contractor to dig a pond and do some road work, he quoted us $25,000. We went ahead with a verbal agreement. After a couple of weeks of work he said he was a little short on cash, so we paid him $26,500 up front and he said we'd be good and that there was about a week and a half of work left. Shortly after that the ground froze and the pond wasn't finished, he now says he'll need an additional $6,300 to finish the work, and he wouldn't be able to get to it for at least 1.5 months. Is our contract valid? What recourse do we have?

My response:

You gave someone you don't even know $26,500.00 on a "hand shake"?

I'll tell you what . . .

Send me $26,500.00, and I'll give you all the legal representation you can handle for the next 4 months.

You asked, "what recourse do we have?"

Incredible. Absolutely incredible!

IAAL

M

mashall

Perhaps I should clarify. We checked out other work he had done, talked to his customers, and talked with other contractors that he works with. I also work with someone that contracts with him on a regular basis. We did our background homework, we were just stupid for not getting a written contract and for being trusting. So other than completely lambasting me, do you have anything helpful to offer?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

mashall said:
Perhaps I should clarify. We checked out other work he had done, talked to his customers, and talked with other contractors that he works with. I also work with someone that contracts with him on a regular basis. We did our background homework, we were just stupid for not getting a written contract and for being trusting. So other than completely lambasting me, do you have anything helpful to offer?

My response:

Your clarification was no clarification at all.

The fact is, you didn't have a written contract, and all of your friends "who contract with him" or the fact that "We checked out other work he had done, talked to his customers, and talked with other contractors that he works with" means absolutely nothing at this point. What are all of these people supposed to do for you now - - now that you find yourself in a "pickle"?

No, I'm still laughing hysterically. So, I have nothing "helpful" for you at this point - - because no matter what I suggest, it's going to cost you as much or more than the $26,500.00 to exercise your legal rights.

But, I'll bet you'll never go without a written contract again, will you?

Good luck. You're going to need it.

IAAL

P

Pro Remodel

To Marshall:

Never ever hire a contractor to do work for you without a written agreement. Make sure that the contract obides the laws of your state, and be sure he is licensed in your state. You made a mistake. Huge. But all you can do now is sue this clown and hope it doesn't cost an arm and leg. Definatley sue though.

Last edited by a moderator:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Pro Remodel said:
To Marshall:

Never ever hire a contractor to do work for you without a written agreement. Make sure that the contract obides the laws of your state, and be sure he is licensed in your state. You made a mistake. Huge. But all you can do now is sue this clown and hope it doesn't cost an arm and leg. Definatley sue though.

==================================

My response:

You see, there's one thing I can do to you Pro Remodeled.

Say good-bye to the forums. Yer outa here - - permanently!

IAAL

Last edited by a moderator:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">