• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Verbal Contract with Sprint PCS?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

PixieStix

What is the name of your state? washington

I have recently started working for a wireless company where I get company benefits for phone service. However, I now want to cancel services with my Sprint PCS phone. When I bought the phone there was no physical contract signed at time of purchase/activation. It was a verbal recording accepting activation when you call in to customer service to set up your account. This was Nov 2001 which was originally a 1 year agreement. Since then, I have accepted promotional plans that required a two year agreement. The last time they show my contract re-starting was June of 2002. Someone I work with said they can only hold me to 1 year of the contract based on a verbal acknowledgement. Is this true? How legal is the verbal recording? I never signed anything and I only verbally agreed to the original 1 year starting Nov 2001. If they can only enforce 1 year of the verbal agreement based on the last time it was "renewed" by accepting promotions, how do I get around them sending me a bill for the $150 cancellation fee anyways?

Any help would be great!

Last edited:

P

PixieStix

I was hoping to be able to get some information before my next bill starts on the 20th, anyone have any idea what the legal is on this type of verbal agreement?

C

commonsense

contracts are contracts

A contract is a contract...whether verbal or written. Verbal contracts are harder to prove (obviously), but I'll bet Sprint can/will do so if they want to.

Bottom line is, you made the commitment, and want to weasel out of it. Why don't you try accepting responsibility for your actions?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">