• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

VERBAL contract - what can be done?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Acid PopTart

I appreciate anyone taking the time to read this and to respond with any helpful advice you could offer. I'm acting for the benefit of my brother who isn't law savvy (neither am I, save those few classes I took) and has gotten himself in a situation that is a little difficult to resolve. The situation:

He entered into a verbal aggreement with a local speciality car shop which performs high performance upgrades such as adding body kits to cars, engine upgrades, etc. He agreed that he would design their website for $50 an hour, and this $50 an hour would be traded for credit on the work he needed done on his car. He accumulated approximately $1300 in credit. He was considered an employee of this company and was told he could get the parts at cost and the labor would be free. So all the credit he was owed could be used on car parts. He used all accumulated credit PLUS his additional funds to purchase a new engine and new racing seats for his car. He took them two checks that were cashed approximately six days from their receipt. Yet, the parts were not ordered right away. The engine was ordered about three to four months later and just came in. They have yet to order the seats. Not only do they have this $1300 credit from him for work he performed, they also have his money from the checks he cashed but refuse to order the seats because they say he must do more work on the website first because he hasn't done any updates, so they say he's not an employee anymore. Although, he does work around their shop running errands when needed as well as designing the site. The website he designed was placed on a disk and given to the owner's brother and was uploaded. We are unable to access the site in order to take it down. What can we do? Is this breach of contract? And what about cashing two checks six days later but didn't order the parts and he's only received half of what he is due? We are in Columbus, OH. I'm at wit's end and we have tried talking to the people but they refuse to budge. Please help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">