• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

verbal loan contract to a friend

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Duggs

I am from Iowa.

Here is the situation. I lent my ex-boyfriend(boyfriend at the time) $400 so that he could make a rent payment. There was no written contract between us, only verbal that he would repay me. I have the carbon copy of the check i wrote, a letter that i wrote him in january asking for some of the money he owed me and another letter written to his parents in january seeing if they could do anything for me. I am wondering if anyone knows if I have a legal angle to persue here. I have tried everything that I can think of. Would i be able to take him to small claims court and defend myself and have a shot? Thanks a lot.....Duggs

L

loku

Oral promise

Yes, you would have a good chance in Small Claims. An oral contract is binding; however, as you know the problem here is proof. The cancelled check and the letters you wrote are some evidence of the debt.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">