• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Verbal payment contract w/dental office

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PoetikJustice

What is the name of your state? California

I recieved a call today from my dentist office where I have been a patient for about 15 years. I have always made monthly payments to them per their approval in the amount of $20 per month. I have never had an issue and they have cashed my checks each month with no problem. Today they have a new office manager and she called and said that that arrangement was no longer acceptable. That I had to pay either the entire debt immediately or increase my monthly payments. I told her that this is the arrangement that I have always had and I was not in a financial position to change it. She stated that because the prior agreement was not in writing that it was not valid and that the terms can be changed at any time and she demanded that I change what I paid. I told her no. That just because the agreement was verbal didn't make it invalid and would continue to pay as I always had. She said that I would be receiving a letter of demand and hung up on me.

So my question is can she do this? Can they just change the terms of the agreement and demand payment?

I have written a letter directly to my dentist himself advising him of my experience with his new manager and what she is demanding. I will be sending it certified mail to him in the morning hoping that he actually gets it instead of it being intercepted by his new staff.

Is there any contract law or example that I can look up and include or quote in my letter to him?

Any advice or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!!!

Last edited:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

PoetikJustice said:

I recieved a call today from my dentist office where I have been a patient for about 15 years. I have always made monthly payments to them per their approval in the amount of $20 per month. I have never had an issue and they have cashed my checks each month with no problem. Today they have a new office manager and she called and said that that arrangement was no longer acceptable. That I had to pay either the entire debt immediately or increase my monthly payments. I told her that this is the arrangement that I have always had and I was not in a financial position to change it. She stated that because the prior agreement was not in writing that it was not valid and that the terms can be changed at any time and she demanded that I change what I paid. I told her no. That just because the agreement was verbal didn't make it invalid and would continue to pay as I always had. She said that I would be receiving a letter of demand and hung up on me.

So my question is can she do this? Can they just change the terms of the agreement and demand payment?

I have written a letter directly to my dentist himself advising him of my experience with his new manager and what she is demanding. I will be sending it certified mail to him in the morning hoping that he actually gets it instead of it being intercepted by his new staff.

Is there any contract law or example that I can look up and include or quote in my letter to him?

Thank you!!!

My response:

Your agreement can be changed at any time. This was the time. Who do you think hired the new manager? That's right, your dentist. Who do you think allowed her to call you and tell you of these new conditions? That's right, your dentist.

Either pay pursuant to their new requirements, or have your account turned over to collections. Take your choice.

IAAL

PoetikJustice

Boy Mr. "I am always liable", who pee'd in your cheerios today?
I appreciate any advice I get from my post -- that's why I am here, but save your condescending tone...lighten up.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

PoetikJustice said:
Boy Mr. "I am always liable", who pee'd in your cheerios today?
I appreciate any advice I get from my post -- that's why I am here, but save your condescending tone...lighten up.

My response:

Deadbeat. Just pay your bill.

IAAL

Karankawan

PoetikJustice said:

Thank you!!!
Verbal contracts and agreements are valid and your longevity may play into action here...

read more on oral agreements here: http://news.surfwax.com/law/files/Oral_Contract.html

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

PoetikJustice said:
Okay. Anyone with an intelligent response and no chip on their shoulder please respond. I don't have time for nonsense.

My response:

Translation - -

"Does any have an answer I like? I really don't want to pay my bill."

You received a legally sound answer. You just don't like it.

IAAL

Last edited:

PoetikJustice

You obviously don't read very well. I have been paying the bill. I pay it on time every month. This was our agreement -- to pay monthly -- not all at once. I asked to know where I could look up information on changing verbal contracts so that I could educate myself on how the law reads. I didn't ask to be called a deadbeat or to be talked down to by someone who thinks they are better than everyone else here. So move on.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

PoetikJustice said:
You obviously don't read very well. I have been paying the bill. I pay it on time every month. This was our agreement -- to pay monthly -- not all at once.

MY RESPONSE: I read perfectly well. I know exactly what you said. With each payment and acceptance is a new affirmation of your verbal contract. Now, the dentist no longer wants the contract the way it was because it's taking too long for you to pay your balance.

I asked to know where I could look up information on changing verbal contracts so that I could educate myself on how the law reads.

MY RESPONSE: I gave you the correct answer. How many times must I tell you?

I didn't ask to be called a deadbeat or to be talked down to by someone who thinks they are better than everyone else here.

MY RESPONSE: Well, in a round-a-bout manner you did ask to be called a deadbeat and to be talked down to. And yes, I am better than you.

You see, I pay my bills. You're looking for an answer that agrees with your pretzel logic, and there is none.

IAAL

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

PoetikJustice said:
Karankawan -- thank you. I will look at the link you provided. Nice to see there are people willing to help on this site.

My response:

That site is just a collection of different cases from different States. You'll notice, however, that Karankawan didn't point you to anything in particular - - just a bunch of cases that you won't understand.

But, go ahead - - look for a needle in the haystack. One problem though, there is no needle.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">