• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Verizon new phone charges

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

brucemc777

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

In April (this year) my 19 year old daughter and I went to a corporate Verizon store to upgrade one phone. The sales

representative told us of their "Edge" program that would provide a new phone and had a cost of $25/month for the phone we were looking at

(iPhone 6) that was offset by a Verizon credit to the respective line of $25, giving us a net bill increase of $0 in round numbers; that if we

wanted the same phone with additional memory the cost would be about $31 and with the offset our net bill per

line upgraded would be about $6.00. I went with this plan for four (4) lines. Prior to signing I asked the

representative at least twice if there would be anything extra, such as activation fees or other charges. Each

time he insisted there would not be. My daughter reminded me of my multiple questions to him prior to my writing

this.

My normal bill from Verizon is about $305.00 as it had been for roughly the prior 12 months. My first month under the plan (May of this year) the bill

was about $400.00. I thought that there might be some fees that would be offset by some future credits in process so we held off paying this.

The next month's bill came in at about $440.00.

I called Verizon customer support and they advised all was correct as billed; that there must have been some sort

of mis-understanding.

Yes, I should have sat down and spent all the time to read the multiple page contracts instead of my asking him

if there was anything in the contract other than what he had explained, but I simply went along with the "sign

here, and here and initial here..." method.

I am to meet with the store's manager and the representative later today, and as pleasantly surprised that I will

be if it all works out, I have strong doubts about that. I suspect I can go after the sales rep personally with a

civil suit, but I doubt even if successful would there be an appreciable amount from that.

We are far from being able to afford, much less justify, the increase in our bill for the additional burden it will put upon us. If all stays the same the

only thing we can think of is to give them the phones and let them sue us.

Any thoughts (besides "You should have read the contracts. Even if I did I doubt I would have clearly understood

the technical differences in how the charges were being applied.)?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

In April (this year) my 19 year old daughter and I went to a corporate Verizon store to upgrade one phone. The sales

representative told us of their "Edge" program that would provide a new phone and had a cost of $25/month for the phone we were looking at

(iPhone 6) that was offset by a Verizon credit to the respective line of $25, giving us a net bill increase of $0 in round numbers; that if we

wanted the same phone with additional memory the cost would be about $31 and with the offset our net bill per

line upgraded would be about $6.00. I went with this plan for four (4) lines. Prior to signing I asked the

representative at least twice if there would be anything extra, such as activation fees or other charges. Each

time he insisted there would not be. My daughter reminded me of my multiple questions to him prior to my writing

this.

My normal bill from Verizon is about $305.00 as it had been for roughly the prior 12 months. My first month under the plan (May of this year) the bill

was about $400.00. I thought that there might be some fees that would be offset by some future credits in process so we held off paying this.

The next month's bill came in at about $440.00.

I called Verizon customer support and they advised all was correct as billed; that there must have been some sort

of mis-understanding.

Yes, I should have sat down and spent all the time to read the multiple page contracts instead of my asking him

if there was anything in the contract other than what he had explained, but I simply went along with the "sign

here, and here and initial here..." method.

I am to meet with the store's manager and the representative later today, and as pleasantly surprised that I will

be if it all works out, I have strong doubts about that. I suspect I can go after the sales rep personally with a

civil suit, but I doubt even if successful would there be an appreciable amount from that.

We are far from being able to afford, much less justify, the increase in our bill for the additional burden it will put upon us. If all stays the same the

only thing we can think of is to give them the phones and let them sue us.

Any thoughts (besides "You should have read the contracts. Even if I did I doubt I would have clearly understood

the technical differences in how the charges were being applied.)?
My only thought other than the fact that Verizon has you, in WRITING agreeing to the terms, is that you have no case at all against the sales rep.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">