• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

vin number question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jclarke

What is the name of your state? utah
i have a car for sale on the internet and have a potential buyer from out of state. i have been writing to this person through e-mail for a few days now and we have been disgussing how the transaction should take place. everything seems to be going smooth except for one thing. she keeps asking me to give her the vin number to the car before she comes out to see it. she claims she needs this information to satisfy her insurance company. i am a little confused about the importance of this. to me this is a tiny detail that can be taken care of with a simple phone call durring the sale. am i just being paranoid? i guess my real question is; can preditors over the net obtain, or "do" anything with the vin information if i give it out to a stranger?

JETX

The only thing that 'predators' can do wit the VIN number is just what this buyer wants to do.... that is run it through CarFAX to check the history.

There is nothing sinister about asking for the VIN...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">