• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Voice recording w/out permission

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LesSher

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

Georgia is a one-party recording state, which I understand to mean that if one party to a conversation is aware of it, then recording may take place without the knowledge of the other parties to the conversation.

I was recently in a meeting. Prior to the meeting I was asked if the meeting could be recorded and I responded by saying I was not comfortable being recorded. The meeting took place, and I later learned that voice-recording took place without my knowledge, and despite my objections.

Was this legal, and can the recording be used, though it was made without my permission.

Thanks.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

Georgia is a one-party recording state, which I understand to mean that if one party to a conversation is aware of it, then recording may take place without the knowledge of the other parties to the conversation.

I was recently in a meeting. Prior to the meeting I was asked if the meeting could be recorded and I responded by saying I was not comfortable being recorded. The meeting took place, and I later learned that voice-recording took place without my knowledge, and despite my objections.

Was this legal, and can the recording be used, though it was made without my permission.

If you are correct that GA is a one-party state, then they don't need your permission.

Banned_Princess

It couldnt have been both without your knowlege AND despite your objections. :rolleyes:

Only one party of the disscussion had to agree for it to be recorded.

ecmst12

Well, you should have expected that they were going to record you anyway since your permission is not required. But it doesn't matter that you thought they were going to respect your request and they didn't.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">