• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Voided Used Car Contract Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

msroper

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

I sold a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee for $2500.00. They put $2100.00 down with a remainder of $400.00 to be paid within two months. The buyer called to tell me that the Jeep needed several hundred dollars worth of work done to it so how about we just call it even and they won't pay the $400.00 remaining. I said thanks, but no thanks, they got a pretty decent deal to begin with and I'll just take the Jeep back. We can void the contract, they can have their money back and that'll be that. They had it pressure washed along with a couple of other things and demanded I pay for what they had put it into it, which was an additional $125.00. Fine, I paid it, just to be done. They were very hostile, the Jeep was for their son and he really like it and blah blah. We met at a mutual place, we voided the contract, got the key to the Jeep, the title, etc and headed home. Upon getting home I realised my keyless entry keypad was not with my key. I called them back, they confirmed the son still had it at home and now they won't answer my call or return the key pad. They know where I live and can now get into my Jeep. I don't know if they made a copy of the key while they had it or what. What can I do? Is my only course of action going to be small claims court? That seems like a long process since for all I know they could come take the Jeep at any time. I don't know that they would, but I don't know that they wouldn't either. Can I get the police involved? Is that too extreme? I'm just really out of my element here and any and all advice would be greatly appreciate.

Thank you.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You can get a replacement key fob for under $50. That would be the least expensive and time-consuming way to handle things.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">