• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

voiding commitment to extended auto warranties and extra "products"?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sarah M

What is the name of your state? California
I can't believe this even now, but I just (tonight) made some really idiotic decisions when buying my new (used, but new to me) car at the Toyota dealership. Without going into all the lame excuses, I signed for a bunch of warranty coverage that I don't even want, not realizing exactly how much I was committing to.
I really can't afford and don't even want the stuff I ended up being committed to. I understand that, in California, there is no "cooling-off" period regarding the purchase of a car, and I am fine with the car itself, but does anyone know the rules regarding extended warranties and added products such as fancy security systems? The stuff I really want to get out of has not yet been installed in/applied to the car, if that makes any difference.
I'm tempted to sign "Deer in the headlights"...
Sarah

msiron

You better contact them asap and tell them NOT to go ahead with any aftermarket installs or paperwork and get your ass in THERE and speak with the sales manager. You are the dumb female who was prayed upon by the nasty salesman and finance manager.... RIGHT?????? Also speak to the dealership owner. Cry, lie and say whatever you have to......

I give you this non legal advice as I have seen it happen and be rectified many times though out the years at my dealership. We just fired the finance manager for shafting people (the day he came back from vacation) and I've seen many sales rep outed, due to underhanded deals.

Then again... it's called BUYER REMORSE and you may get nowhere.

Sarah M

msiron said:
You better contact them asap and tell them NOT to go ahead with any aftermarket installs or paperwork and get your ass in THERE and speak with the sales manager. You are the dumb female who was prayed upon by the nasty salesman and finance manager.... RIGHT?????? Also speak to the dealership owner. Cry, lie and say whatever you have to......

Then again... it's called BUYER REMORSE and you may get nowhere.
Thanks for your reply. I'm glad to hear that some people have been successful in my predicament. I have no problem being the "dumb female", since that's exactly what I was. In spades. What I'm still wondering is whether the law actually allows them to force me to go ahead with the installs and warranties. I have heard that I can't back out of a car sale, which I don't want to do anyway, but this seems quite different to me, as I haven't yet taken possession or use of the extras (I'm supposed to bring the car back for them to do all that). However, I have no idea how the law works.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">