• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Voluntary organazation expelling me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

clippy9

i am a member in a voluntary organization...the organization wants to change a bylaw that would exclude me from membership. Though I am a good faith member that has committed no offense...is that a legal way to end my membership?

justalayman

based on what you have stated: yes.

if you care to provide more details/information that could change.

what is the rule they are changing that will now exclude you? Does the organization receive any public funding?

swalsh411

What have you done to make them not like you? Maybe you should consider your behavior as the root cause. Do you really want to be part of a group where you are not wanted?

sandyclaus

i am a member in a voluntary organization...the organization wants to change a bylaw that would exclude me from membership. Though I am a good faith member that has committed no offense...is that a legal way to end my membership?
Are you the only member who would be excluded as a result of this change in bylaws? *Or are there other members who would also*be excluded as well?

What is the nature of the change in bylaws (or more specifically, what is the change, if you can elaborate further)?

What have you done to make them not like you? Maybe you should consider your behavior as the root cause. Do you really want to be part of a group where you are not wanted?
Why would you assume that the change in bylaws are specifically targeting OP?? Like I asked, there could be others affected by the proposed changes and it could have absolutely NOTHING to do with this specific individual, whether they like or want them, or some behavior that they are supposed to have exhibited to create this problem. Geez.

tranquility

The general answer is yes, you can be expelled. But, the underlying reason is important too. If you are being denied for a prohibited reason, then no. Even then, the rules on private organizations is a bit different if it is not open to the public.

Why do they want you out?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Because if they wanted him to stay that badly they wouldn't pass the bylaw.
The OP hasn't told us what the nature of the change is. It's possible that the organization doesn't even know that the change will affect the OP. OP was pretty darn vague.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">