• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

VW Dealer not honoring conditions of warranty

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

erbower

What is the name of your state? Maryland

In December of 1996, I purchased a new VW Jetta from Tischer VW in Laurel, MD. At the time, I also purchased an extended warranty for approx $800. I bought the warranty because it was explained to me that if I never used it, I would get my money back. The finance manager even noted this on the warranty contract. The warranty lapsed in '02 and when I attempted to get the money back, I learned that Tischer has gone out of business and the lot/dealership is now Ourisman (sp?). The new dealership has been none too eager to help me out.

Do I have any recourse? If it was only $100 I would probably just let it go, but $800 is a lot of money. I wouldn't have purchased the warranty without the "money-back" clause.

JETX

Another example of the warranty being only as good as the person or company giving it. In this case, the warrantor of the money-back refund (the dealer) is no longer in business.

Your only option as I see it is to write the dealership a very nice letter explaining that as the current owner of the dealership, they purchased both the assets and liabilities of the former business. If they claim that they did not purchase the liabilities (possible), then ask them to provide a copy of the sales agreement showing that.

They will likely refuse.... and then your only recourse would be to file a lawsuit.... and subpoena the records.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">