• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Waiting for Refund for 2 months now

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Chrischops

What is the name of your state? Tennessee

I signed up as an Independent Representative with Phoenix USA. I purchased product, decided not to do the business and was directed by the home office (located in South Carolina) how to return the unused product for a refund.

I followed their directions and mailed the product on 1/9/03. It is now 3/12/03 and I have not heard one peep from them. They said it would take 4-6 weeks for the refund check to come in the mail. But I have received nothing! I have called them over 20 times and the man with whom I should speak is never there and has never returned any of my phone calls. I need to know how to proceed with this and get back the $800 I spent in product which was returned over 2 months ago! Also, a woman used to answer the phone, but just this week I have been receiving an answering machine...

Thanks~Christy

spawn_x

since trying to contact them is not working try having a lawyer write up a letter, that'll let them know you're serious.

or you could always write one yourself telling them you will go to small claims court, and sue them if they don't respond.

C

Chrischops

Thanks for your advice, Spawn and DJohnson. I will definitely do what you've suggested. But what is RRR? Sorry, I'm not legally inclined and am unfamiliar with the terms!

Thanks again,
Christy

spawn_x

question for ya... what kind of product?

is this one of those "buy our product, sell it for 10x more and keep the profit" kind of a thing?

if it is then i hope it was a legit company because there are a couple scams like that going on...

C

Chrischops

Well, unfortunately it was sort of like that. Purchase product for wholesale, sell it for retail, and keep the profit. The company is supposedly legit, been around for about 5 years now...but their office in Nashville recently closed because "there wasn't much of a market for it in the area." YEAH, whatever! The man I was signed up under doesn't have the same phone number anymore, so I can't reach him and he's moved to Knoxville, TN which is about 2 hours from here. I'm basically unable to reach ANYONE who could help me! I'm afraid that I have been scammed, for sure. And I'm so angry!

Souix

spawn_x said:
i'm as clueless about the RRR as you are :)

anyone?

Certified Mail Return Receipt Requested. Which means that upon deloivery of the mail, the person accepting it needs to sign for it. Ask the post office for other services too.

C

Chrischops

I sent the package via UPS back in January. It's already been sent, so it's too late to ask for a return receipt...

I wish I would've done that, but hindsight is 20/20.

Thanks anyway!

spawn_x

the tracking number should still be in their database and the confirmation of delivery should be available as well, call UPS.

and i'm sure they were referring to sending the LETTER via certified mail.

Souix

Chrischops said:
Well, unfortunately it was sort of like that. Purchase product for wholesale, sell it for retail, and keep the profit. The company is supposedly legit, been around for about 5 years now...but their office in Nashville recently closed because "there wasn't much of a market for it in the area." YEAH, whatever! The man I was signed up under doesn't have the same phone number anymore, so I can't reach him and he's moved to Knoxville, TN which is about 2 hours from here. I'm basically unable to reach ANYONE who could help me! I'm afraid that I have been scammed, for sure. And I'm so angry!

WOW you spent $800 for something like that? I bet you are just kicking yourself.

Why not become something like an Avon Representative? Avon has been around for more than 100 years and the initial startup fee is only 25 bucks.

Sorry for your loss. :(

spawn_x

as long as they haven't filed bankrupcy you should be able to get your money easily.

Don't bother with the letters then - they'll be ignored.

find out where any one of them is located and take them to court ASAP BEFORE they go bankrupt.

like suzy and i said, in that case you've been scammed.

work fast to get yer money back, please.

JETX

Wow, these posts get more incredible everyday!!!

"as long as they haven't filed bankrupcy you should be able to get your money easily."
*** From reading this thread, getting the money will be FAR, FAR from easy. Not only is the proof minimal, but the other party (defendant) isn't even in the same state!!

"Don't bother with the letters then - they'll be ignored."
*** Ah, but letters MUST be written. And, if written properly, they could help if any litigation is pursued.

"find out where any one of them is located and take them to court ASAP BEFORE they go bankrupt."
*** Pretty inane. Simply, it makes no difference whether a lawsuit is started, or even a judgment rendered, if the debtor files for bankruptcy. The BK filing will STOP any and all efforts. And this isn't even considering the 'find out where one of them is", part. One of whom??

"like suzy and i said, in that case you've been scammed."
*** It is VERY likely that this is a scam.

"work fast to get yer money back, please."
*** One thing that could go a long way to this, would be proper advice based on legal facts.

What is the name and address of the company?
What was the product?
Do you have this 'money back' offer in writing?
What form is the 'company' (corporation, proprietorship, etc.)??

spawn_x

*** From reading this thread, getting the money will be FAR, FAR from easy. Not only is the proof minimal, but the other party (defendant) isn't even in the same state!!
- MORE easily, my apologies

*** Ah, but letters MUST be written. And, if written properly, they could help if any litigation is pursued.
- i disagree. its a scam, letters will be ignored. i agree they're a must, but IMHO letters don't do much for scams.

*** Pretty inane. Simply, it makes no difference whether a lawsuit is started, or even a judgment rendered, if the debtor files for bankruptcy. The BK filing will STOP any and all efforts. And this isn't even considering the 'find out where one of them is", part. One of whom??
-one of the offices..

this may very well be a legal scam - if you fight hard enough you'll get your money back, but some/most people will give up after a certain amount of time, which lets'em keep the $$..

C

Chrischops

Oh don't you worry, I will NOT give up easily! $800 is worth a lot to me...and I'll fight, gosh darn it. Good news though. I finally got a hold of someone in the office today. It was just the receptionist and she got rather testy with me when I pushed her to help me get in touch with the appropriate person. She said, "Do you realize I'm just the receptionist and I cannot make anyone call you back?" I replied with, "Yes, but you are directly in contact with these people and I am not. Please stress to him the importance of returning my calls" (there have been about 20 in all).

So, my line of action is to write a letter to him directly and threaten legal action. Maybe that will prompt him to at least pay attention to me!

Thanks for all your advice, folks~
Christy

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">