• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Warranty claim not honored

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

flyboynm

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NM

I purchased a laptop from a friend's family after they passed away. It has developed an issue and is still under warranty but the company says that warranties do not transfer. No where in their warranty statement does it have this condition. I have asked for documentation showing that but they do not reply to any emails and when I have called, I get hung up on.

What are my options here? It is a $600+ repair that needs to be done for a laptop (defective video card - not damaged via neglect) that was bought less than 8 months ago at a price of $2800 - including an extended warranty. Could I file a small claims court case on it? If so, can I file it here (where I live and where my friend lived) or do I have to file it where they are located?

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NM

I purchased a laptop from a friend's family after they passed away. It has developed an issue and is still under warranty but the company says that warranties do not transfer. No where in their warranty statement does it have this condition. I have asked for documentation showing that but they do not reply to any emails and when I have called, I get hung up on.

What are my options here? It is a $600+ repair that needs to be done for a laptop (defective video card - not damaged via neglect) that was bought less than 8 months ago at a price of $2800 - including an extended warranty. Could I file a small claims court case on it? If so, can I file it here (where I live and where my friend lived) or do I have to file it where they are located?
Most warranties are non-transferable, and limited to the original owner.

If you do sue, you will probably not get the full $2800 you are hoping for. Unfortunately, most computer technology depreciates pretty quickly due to the development of newer and better technology at such a rapid rate these days.

You probably also want to check the warranty information. You may be limited to arbitration, or you may be required to file suit where the manufacturer is located.

BL

You can always try to file a complaint with your local Office of Attorney General - Consumer Affairs Department .

It takes a while and there is no guarantee .

Did they family give you the purchase invoice along with any warranty information ,and a sales receipt?

Last edited:

flyboynm

I filed the suit for $825 - the cost to replace the screen, the video card and cable that connects the 2. Their warranty documentation does not have any place that states the warranty is non-transferable. The sales agreement does not limit the locale of suit either nor has mandatory arbitration.

Yes, I have all the original paperwork, etc. I have made copies of all of this documentation and have highlighted the various areas showing that there is no limitations of whom the warranty applies and such.

Thank you all!

OHRoadwarrior

Hopefully, it does not also show you are not the person who originally purchased the computer, as they are the one who has a contract with them. You have no standing as a third party, unless state law gives you the right.

justalayman

I filed the suit for $825 - the cost to replace the screen, the video card and cable that connects the 2. Their warranty documentation does not have any place that states the warranty is non-transferable. The sales agreement does not limit the locale of suit either nor has mandatory arbitration.

Yes, I have all the original paperwork, etc. I have made copies of all of this documentation and have highlighted the various areas showing that there is no limitations of whom the warranty applies and such.

Thank you all!
so, who is the manufacturer of the computer? Researching their warranties should be simple.

I suspect that all 3 of the parts you are claiming are not defective. It is more than likely one of the three. Can you prove each of them are defective?

additionally, if the warranty is transferable, has it been properly transferred?

Last edited:

BL

Hopefully, it does not also show you are not the person who originally purchased the computer, as they are the one who has a contract with them. You have no standing as a third party, unless state law gives you the right.
In the off chance the poster went through the OAG and the Co. consumer personnel contacted him ,he could have stood aggressively/assertive and they may have bent as a courtesy,but since suit was filed the OAG will not take or forward a complaint.

I remember purchasing a 98se Pc from a private owner with a 3rd party warranty .

After so many issues I contacted the seller and he wouldn't transfer or do nothing .

Yes ,I fudged it and finally the 3rd party warranty Co. after replacing many hardware parts , sent me an refurbished XP machine . : )

I know this a little different ,but I believe the poster will lose now too.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken

Thank you all!
Who did the diagnosis on this PC? :cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">