• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

!!!Warranty Fraud!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MissK

Philadelphia, PA 19135
I financed a used car. The check engine light was on at the time of purchase. I also purchased The Diamond Security Plus Coverage Warranty . The dealership said bring back on Monday we’ll fix it. They send with this kind of car the check engine light comes on when air gets into the gas tank, it’s probably nothing.

I took it to auto zone to have the code read and it said “ Failed fuel level sending unit”

I bring it back Monday informed the dealership of the code reading, along with other minor problems. They said no problem they’ll fix it. The dealership called me Tuesday night asked if they could keep the car 1more day to check the breaks. I say yes, I’ll be going out of town, so please keep as long as you need to fix the fuel level sending unit. I go pick up the car the next Monday, so they’ve had it for a week. The check engine light is still on.
The dealership says we have to order the part but drive around to put more miles on the car so we can send it through The Diamond Security Plus Coverage Warranty.

The dealership said please help us out because the part is $1,000.
This is a problem that existed with the car, I’ve read my warranty contract and I don’t think it will cover the replacement of the fuel level sending unit. I want to know what should I do? I don’t want to be the one paying for something the dealership should have already taken care of.
I called to ask for a print out of the part that needs to be ordered, the dealership said once they get it they could give me a print out. I’m trying to work with them, and “help them out” but are they really trying to help me out?

AdditionalInfo
Philadelphia, PA
2008 Chevrolet Malibu Classic
Purchased 2/25/2012What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
They send with this kind of car the check engine light comes on when air gets into the gas tank, it’s probably nothing.
Let's think this through logically:

If air in the tank was the cause of a check-engine light coming on, then why is it that the light doesn't come on when cars are running normally after a fill-up at the gas station?

With that said, you may have a case against the lot if the car won't pass inspection. The hurdle you will have to overcome is whether or not the dealer disclosed this defect. This is not something that was hidden. You accepted the car in the condition that it was in (including the lighting being on.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">