• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Washing machine glass breaks despite shatterproof glass feature

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

carolinagirl23

What is the name of your state? NC

I have a Whirlpool Cabrio washing machine. The warranty expired in November (figures!) One of the features of this particular washer is that it has a tempered shatterproof glass lid. Well surprise, mine shattered today. Still have no idea how, I lifted the lid and it just shattered in a million pieces. Am I out of luck since the warranty expired or could Whirlpool still be responsible since they specifically claim the glass won't shatter? TIA!

justalayman

well, this is what I found on their website as to the glass lid:

Nothing to hide
Its actions are always on display with style. From the scratch and shatter resistant see-through glass lid to the illuminated control panel that provides constant updates on the status of the wash load.
shatter resistant

Unless your literature states something contrary, shatter resistant does not equal shatterproof.

In either case, I would at least contact Whirlpool if it happened as you described, they may be interested in that fact alone and may be receptive to a warranty replacement.

carolinagirl23

I appreciate your response. This is the description that I had found online in numerous different advertisements when researching the brand...

See-through Tempered Glass Lid
The see-through glass lid on the top-load Cabrio™ washer is a stylish piece of innovation. Made of shatter-proof tempered glass, it shows the deep cleaning impelling action of the wash load inside.

I'll be giving them a call tomorrow. Never fails that stuff like this happens on a weekend!

BTW, I love your quote in your signature. I use that line all the time, people either get it or they look at me like I'm nuts!

justalayman

If you can show then where they state shatter proof, by all means go for a new lid.

The one thing you need to be sure of when you quote an advertisement. Be sure it is Whirlpools quote and not what a retailer put in the ad.

Happy Trails

http://www.whirlpool.com/assets/pdfs/product/ZUSECARE/8566930.pdf

See-through Tempered Glass Lid with Solid Hold Lid Hinge (on some models) Some models feature the see-through glass lid. Made of shatterproof tempered glass, it shows the deep cleaning action of the wash load inside. With the solid hold lid hinge, the large lid is flexible enough to open completely and conveniently, and it won’t snap or slam down.
Shatterproof, tempered glass, doesn't mean that it can't be broken. However, it shouldn't have shattered.

Here is another related article.
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/laundry/msg1200261015245.html

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">