• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Water utility provider

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

Nana13

What is the name of your state? Florida
We received a letter yesterday from our water utility provider (small provider, class D operator license) asking for proof of the $1000 hook-up fee paid by the original owner in 1988 who is now deceased. The person we purchased from 3 years ago, told us the original owner paid the fee. We have been receiving water for 3 years. The Utility provider is making repairs because a new road is going through. They state that their records are not accurate and when we are ready to hook up to the new meter it will be our responsibility to confirm and prove that the original $1000 hook up fee was paid. They stated if we can prove the fee was paid they will honor that payment otherwise be prepared to pay the $1000 hookup fee. Do we have any recourse here?

C

condaggitt

You have been getting a bill for the water?

So there is not much you can do without hiring a lawyer to sue them.

They have a responsibilty to keep accurate records, if they fail in thier job, why should you have to bear their irresponsibility.

You have nothing to do this week except hire a lawyer, to send them a letter, maybe that will scare them into leaving you alone.

N

Nana13

water utility

Yes, we have paid our water bill faithfully since moving here three years ago. they bill every quarter. We have a doubts that the water is of the best quality and the service is lacking. They have one qualified operator who does not live near here and three helpers. In the spring the water was contaminated for a month. It is run from a shallow ground well. I questioned the water quality and the health dept shut it down, maybe that is why we are being asked to pay the hook up fee. My feeling was the same as your, why should I have to prove anything especially their poor record keeping, which we know they are aware the fee was paid on this property, otherwise they would have collected it when we bought the house.

P

Pubpanda

water utility

I would think that in order for the original owner to hook-up and receive water from the utility company, he must have had to pay the hook-up fee.
Is it their policy to supply water to people who do not pay this fee when they sign up for water? If so, you might contact the realtor who sold you the house to see if he can verify this. I would think that it is the water utility company's responsibility to provide proof that the fee wasn't paid if they expect you to pay it.
I am not a legal expert but it sounds like common sense.

Good luck!
Linda

N

Nana13

water utility provider

The original owner told the person we bought from that the fee was paid. All our quarterly bills state Hook up fee $20 per month, total paid 0 balance to pay in full - Paid. Summary of the bill states the total consumption amount due, past due 0, hook up fee 0, total due (just the water consumption amount). I think if the original owner had not paid the fee there would be no meter, or a lien on the property (none). We are going to talk to an attorney before giving in.

P

Pubpanda

water utility provider

Well that sounds like proof to me! What more could they expect!
Go for it!
Linda

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">