• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Are we being Scammed by a Car Dealership

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

Gusto3

California
My wife and I purchased a car from a large Hollywood dealership last year. Our credit is not bad, it’s not the greatest, but I’ve seen worse. We signed the contract in August of last year, and we thought everything was okay. Well it turns out a few weeks later there is a problem with the financing, so we had to go back in and sign another contract. We were told everything was okay, that the new contract would push our payment off for another month, and it would even be a smaller payment. We were also told that we would be receiving our payment booklets in the mail. Well a month went by and no booklets showed up. We didn't’t really make a big deal about it because we figured if there was a problem, the dealership would call us back in again, so we waited a little more. We finally decided to call. My wife called a number of times to speak with the finance manager and even left messages but he never returned her calls, so she got a little frustrated and just gave up. A few days ago her agent started getting calls from a collection agency, so I called the agency. The woman I spoke to was a representative from Hughes Aircraft Credit Union. She informed me that they have been trying to locate us for quite some time. The vehicle was seriously past due and had been put up for repo. She also informed me that they had received 3 separate payments for the vehicle. The next morning our car was repoed. I went back to the dealership, and they told me that there was nothing they could do, they had sold the contract to Hughes and that it was our responsibility to call and find out where to make payments. Well as I mentioned we did call, and our calls were not returned, plus Yana had actually gone to the dealership months before, to get some work done on the car. Here is why I think we are being scammed. We never received any correspondence from the dealership to inform us that Hughes was our new contract holder. We never received any correspondence from Hughes informing us they were our new lien holder, or that we were seriously late with payments. We never mailed them payments, because we did’nt know they were our lien holder, even though they claim they received three. We think the dealership sent them payments, but they are denying it. Hughes is also claiming that they had no way to contact us even though they had all of our purchase information - addresses, phone numbers etc. Now we are without a vehicle and we’ve been told it will cost $1800 to get the vehicle back. I will admit, maybe we should have called the dealership a few more times, and not assumed that if there was a problem they would have called us. However, I don’t think the total responsibility is on our shoulders. The Dealership or the Credit Union should have contacted us a long time ago, they had our information, and what about the phantom payments ? Had those payments not been made, someone may have contacted us sooner. Either way, we think we are being scammed, and would like to know if we have any legal recourse or other options ?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">