• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Web Site used Private info to Contact My Employer!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

randyman

I am using a a third Party payment collection company like Billpoint to sell goods via the Internet. (not Billpoint) This company accepted a fraudulent credit card payment. They then used it as an excuse to accuse ME of fraud. Worse yet they also used it as an excuse to FREEZE my account with more than $25,000 in it. The ****** company then used my Private information provided to them in confidence and contacted My Employer. They disparged my name to my employer engough that my employer decided to "investigate" me. I resolved that and my employer has cleared my name. However, the ***** company will not unfreeze my account.

I read the privacy agreement of the ***** company . It says:

"Disclosure to Third Parties
We will not give third parties individually identifiable information about users except for limited purposes described below.

In accordance with Terms of Use of the ****** service, whenever it is necessary or appropriate to comply with the law or legal process, to protect our systems and customers, or to ensure the integrity and operation of our business and systems. "

My question is this: can the ***** company legally use my information to contact my employer?

Also can they disparage my name in front of my employer?
I did use my employers internet service several times to check my account at ****** But this gives them no right to do contact my employer. It is within company policy to use their internet for personal use from time to time.

Contact me at [email protected]

L

loku

Credit card fraud

According to what you said the company could contact your employer only when “it is necessary or appropriate to comply with the law or legal process, to protect our systems and customers, or to ensure the integrity and operation of our business and systems." Deciding whether the contact is justified under any of those conditions is a matter of fact, not law. I, personally think they cannot justify it under those standards. Most likely, neither would a judge or jury; therefore, they most likely breached the disclosure clause of the contract, and for that, you would be entitled to damages, in this case, possibly punitive damages.

What makes your case even better is that if you can prove that what they told your employer was false, that is defamation and interference with your employment contract. You could sue them on both of those.

As far as the frozen funds are concerned, if you can prove the fraudulent payment was not a fraud on your part, they would have to release the funds. Perhaps a letter from an attorney to them, on your behalf would take care of that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">